Kajjaya/ Sweet Rice Fritters

Deepavali in Karnataka is synonymous with Kajjaya. The festival is a time when loads and loads of Kajjaya and other savory snacks like Nippattu, Chakli are made at home, packed and sent to neighbors, friends and relations! Oh yes, that meant days and days of hard labor in the kitchen, but we got to eat a lot as well.... Strangely enough Kajjaya is something my grandmother never mastered! Poor thing. But my Mother-in-law is an acknowledged expert.
Also Kajjaya is prepared during every wedding. The superstition is that if Kajjaya does not come out well, the wedding is going to run in to rough weather! I remember my mother getting worried during my wedding because the Kajjaya she and my aunt were preparing did not turn out well.. In fact the dough just disintegrated in the hot ghee!
I should say it is slightly difficult dish to prepare, and it depends on the ingredients, particularly Jaggery. So picking up the right ingredient is the key. This is my entry to the JFI Festive Jihva and Yummy Festival Feast




Rice 1/2 cup Sona masuri works fine, the unpolished rice like Hamsa works best. I am not very sure about Basmati
Jaggery powdered 1/2 cup i prefer the white variety because the dark ones sometimes are slightly fermented which makes the dough disintegrate
water a few tbsp
Ghee to deep fry
Cardamom 1-2

Method:
  • Soak rice in water for 30 minutes and drain overnight in a colander.
  • Powder the well drained rice into a slightly coarse powder. Set it aside.
  • Combine jaggery, cardamom and a few table spoons of water in a thick bottomed pan on low flame. Stir till the jaggery bubbles. Now test for the soft ball stage.
  • Take cold water in a wide mouthed bowl. Drop a spoonful of molten jaggery into the water and try to form a ball out of the molten jaggery with your finger tips. If the jaggery just disintegrates then it is still not ready. If a ball can be formed, then the jaggery is ready.
  • Now slowly add the rice powder, stirring vigorously on low flame. Cook the mixture for five minutes till well combined and the mixture leaves the side. Turn off the flame and set aside to cool
  • Once cool enough to handle, pinch small balls off the dough and roll it into about 3" rounds 1/4 " thick.
  • Heat Ghee in a thick bottom stable pot. Test the temperature of the ghee by throwing in a small piece of dough into the Ghee. If the dough sizzles and floats then the ghee is ready otherwise, the ghee needs some more time on the stove!!
  • Once the ghee is ready, slide the rolled out dough. Cook till the oil stops to froth or the kajjaya is honey - golden in colour. Turn the kajjaya just once and cook till it is uniformly honey golden in colour.
  • Remove, drain excess ghee on a paper towel and serve it hot with banana and nippattu.




17 comments:

Lakshmi said...

You made me crave for it now :P going to soak rice now..

Deepak Dhananjaya said...

Thanks for this wonderful authentic recipe for Kajjaya.. i saw many sites but didnt find authentic one as u have mentioned.. perfect recipe.. including the test!! Thanks again!

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry!..

Vani said...

Wonderful festival foods for the habba. Nippattu and kajjaya both look fab! Hope you had a wonderful Deepavali!

Srikitchen said...

wow! tempted my taste buds!
first time to ur blog and it looks very nice! visit my blog when u find time and join in the sweet event going in my blog!

Unknown said...

wow! thanks a lot. i was searching for the receipe, i found ur blog. its tooo gooooood....

star said...

instead of sona masuri/unpolished rice, brown/red rice tastes better and after mixing rice flour to the jaggery, add puree of a ripe banana, u will get yummy kajjayas.....

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Star,
Yes, unpolished rice, especially from the fresh harvest makes the best choice. But then it is not as easily available as the sona masoori rice. I am not so sure about the Bananas though. Never quite tried it.

rekha said...

hi there,i don't know what went wrong my all kAJJAYAS fell apart in the oil.I was sure when i started making little balls, as the douhg was very hard to handle...let me know what's the problem...is there any troubleshooting?

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Rekha..

I have never had that problem before. So I am not sure if I will be able to help you.
The dough should not be very tight, it generally turns out to be pretty pliable with just a slight resistance.
Most often than not the problem will be that the jaggery is not of good quality or that the rice did not have enough moisture.

Wonder if you got the proportions all right? If you got the proportions alright, u can end up with a tight dough only if you over cooked jaggery. And disintegrating in oil...well I have to ask my folks and get back :)

pushpa said...

TUMBA CHANNAGI BAREDIDIRA..... THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM TRYING. HOPE IT COMES WELL N TASTES DELICIOUS.... PRAY FOR ME PLEAST.... HAPPY DEEPAVALI.....

Unknown said...

Ayoo eshtu channagi bandidee....I luv this.

New to your beautiful space.

Following you ree!!

http://mindlesslampoons.blogspot.com/ said...

Nestled in a remote corner in Bengal, I tripped and stumbled in here on my search for the perfect 'namma uru kajjaya' recipe. I am not sure how an amateur commie like me is going to do justice to this fritter your way, but.. I am trying. With rice soaking up in the colander..... Thanx

http://mindlesslampoons.blogspot.com/ said...

Nestled in a remote corner in Bengal, I tripped and stumbled in here on my search for the perfect 'namma uru kajjaya' recipe. I am not sure how an amateur commie like me is going to do justice to this fritter your way, but.. I am trying. With rice soaking up in the colander..... Thanx

Anonymous said...

If your kajjaya is disintegrating, dough could be dry. Uue a couple of teaspons of warm milk and knead the dough well. If dough is not dry and yet disintegrates in oil, use a spoon or two of wheat flour to bind.

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to call it sweet rice fritters, does anyone other cultures give names to their food in other languages.? Please call kajjaya, kajjaya.

Kannada Cuisine said...

For the person who has objection to me calling Kajjaya -Sweet Rice Fritters. It so happens that a decade ago when I started blogging I used to have significant American readers and they would not know what a Kajjaya was, hence the English approximation. Also there is no reason to be so picky about what we call our dishes. Kajjaya in one part of Karnataka is called Atirasa in another.