Ragi Sari

Introducing solids to little ones is a daunting task.. First time moms are especially confused! What to feed, when to feed, when to start, how to feed...etc. We need to figure out answers all by ourselves but then I can do my bit by posting the recipe for Ragi Sari the ragi gruel that is feed to babies back home. We have been feeding our little one Ragi Sari and he loves it...Go ahead and try it with your little one.



We will need to prepare the Ragi powder first and then make a gruel.

To Prepare the Ragi powder/flour,
  • Pick and clean Ragi. Wash it in multiple changes of water.
  • Soak it for about 6-8 in plenty of water.
  • Tie it in a cotton cloth and sit it in a warm place for it to sprout. 
  • Once it has sprouted takes about 24 to 48 hours depending on where you live and the season, spread it out on a cotton cloth in shade preferably indoors. 
  • Once the Ragi is completely dry, pulse it in a coffee grinder. The mixture should be coarse not fine. 
  • Then pass the broken Ragi on a Muslin sieve. Collect the fine Ragi dust store it for future use. I use half a kilo of Ragi for every batch. It does not store very well, not more than two months.
To prepare the Sari/Gruel.

Ragi Sari powder   1/2 tsp
Ghee                      1/4-1/2 tsp
Crushed jaggery      1/4 tsp
Water                     4 tbsp

Method:
  • Mix a tsp water with the Ragi powder and set it aside. 
  • Heat the remaining water and jaggery together and filter the water to remove any impurities in the jaggery.
  • Heat the filtered jaggery-water. Pour the Ragi powder mixture. Bring it to a boil and to a desired consistency. 
  • Stir in ghee at the last minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool down completely before feeding your baby. 
  • Increase the amount of Sari once you know your babies appetite.

13 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Healthy one.. nice click too..

Lakshmi said...

Hi Smitha..you can dilute it with breast milk and put it in feeding bottle and feed it. I do that and it works well. I will post this on my page too very soon..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@LG!
Well i should tell you that here our pediatrician asked us never to bottle feed solids unless the baby has a severe reflux. That is what is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics! In fact it is a strict No-No here....

Unknown said...

healthy food for the baby , looking forward to feed my LO the ragi sari,thanks a ton for the receipe :-)

Padhu Sankar said...

Healthy one .Even I love this and have it every day with milk sans ghee.
Do drop by my space when u find time

Recipeswap said...

Its so difficult to start of with solids but once the kids get hooked to this life gets very easy. Doesn't it?thanks for the recipe.My m-i-l used to make it for my daughter.

harirha said...

thanku for the receipe.iam very much confused what to start for my baby boy.now iam relaxed

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the beautiful easy recipe. I thought its difficult to prepare sari.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe

belaku said...

We can add cows milk to it too .

Diya said...

For how many month old baby this van be given. Please tell

Anonymous said...

My baby is 6 month old, Iam giving her home made rice cereal, she poops once in 2 days n its very hard.
Can I start her with raagi sari now?

Anonymous said...

When can I start my baby on cows milk? Can I give her milk with Tetra pack?