Mango Cake

The season of baking continues. I baked some Mango Cake for my Honey's birthday. My Mom used to make Mango Cake long time back... back then when me and my sister would come back from school and pester Mom to give us something to munch on before we rushed out on to the dusty streets to play till sun down! Mom used to make delightful baked stuff, biscuits, cakes and Mysore pak (It was her way of using up extra ghee in the pantry at the end of the month). We always got something to munch on back then. That was long ago. Even though Mom graduated from the pre-historic 'Johnson' oven with a glass top to 'Lexus' OTG, her baking took a back seat. After all empty nest is no incentive to bake..

Photobucket

Even though Mango cake is generally frosted with butter cream, I prefer freshly whipped cream. Here is the recipe. For the cake to be moist and light, the measurements need to be exact. So investing on a measuring set is not a bad idea after all. Also leave the butter and eggs on the counter overnight so that they are at room temperature before baking

Maida (All Purpose Flour) 2 cups
Mango Puree 1/2 cup (I used the canned version!)
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Baking Soda 1 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice 1/2 a lemon
Butter 1 stick (1/2 a cup)
Honey 1/2 cup
Powdered Sugar 1/2 cup (1.25 cup if using fresh mango pulp depending on the sweetness preferred)
Eggs 2 separated

For the frosting
Heavy Whipping cream 1.5 cups
Sugar powder 1/4 cups
Mango Puree 1 tbsp

Method:
  • Preheat Oven to 350 F. Grease a 9" round baking tin.
  • Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt 2-3 times so that all the ingredients are well combined. Set it aside.
  • Using a hand mixer or a spatula, cream the butter (stir vigorously) with sugar and honey.
  • Reduce the speed to low and slowly stream in the mango puree followed by the lemon juice and egg yolks. Keep mixing till very well combined.
  • Not add the sifted flour mixture a table spoon by tablespoon till combined into a smooth mixture. Stop and set aside.
  • Now whisk the egg white till they form stiff peaks.
  • Fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture gently.
  • Pour into the baking tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Keep a close eye after 20 minutes.
  • To check if the cake is done, insert a toothpick right at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, the cake needs a few more minutes in the oven.
  • Cool the cake to room temperature before frosting of your choice. I prefer a whipped cream topping!
For the whipped cream:
  • To whip the cream, set the blades of the hand blender and a metal bowl to work with in the freezer.
  • Take a big bowl of ice. Take the heavy cream in the metal bowl and place it on the ice.
  • Start whipping on low speeds. Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar. Gradually increase the speed to high. Keep adding the rest of the sugar till all the sugar is used up. Whip till stiff peaks are formed.
To finish the cake,
Turn the cake upside down. Spread the whipped cream uniformly over the top of the cake. Spread it gently onto the sides. Dot it with the Mango puree. Alternately. Pour the mango puree and 1/4 of the whipped cream simultaneously into a piping bag and decorate the cake as desired.

This is a piece of the cake i test-baked with a mango butter cream froasting.. Still i prefer whipped cream any day, any time!



This recipe goes out to the anniversary event held by Aparna After all this is a celebratory fare, indeed the first time in three years of marriage that I was with my honey on his birthday!

14 comments:

Lakshmi said...

yippee..Mangoes in cake..I love it. I will try it sometimes :)

Gayathri said...

yummmmmyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! Surprise mele surprise, Mangoes in Cake....omg mouth watering cake ree,looks so gud, will try nxt time :).......

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks yumm ... i too want a slice of it

Unknown said...

hi thanks alot for your lovely comment on my blog mango cake looks delicious

Gayathri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gayathri said...

hi, i had send u one, np can u give me ur id, need some calrification.
can delete this also :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

yummilicious!!!!! Tumba chennagi kantha ide cake... the decoration is good as well...

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks a lot folks for all the nice comments!

Savi-Ruchi said...

oh my god!!, it looks so much got from the bakery.very nice.., is there an alternate to replace eggs? I dont use eggs.., so if you have any idea, kindly share :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Suhsma!
I wish i had an alternative for eggs.
I will have to do some more research to make it egg less. Give me some time i will get back after some more experiments...

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Mangoes are my favourite fruit and so I'm sure I'd love your cake. I'm sure your husband was happy to see it.
Thanks for celebrating with me.

Btw, if the recipe calls for 1 or 2 eggs you can substitue them with flax seeds.

Sunshinemom said...

Lovely cake! I am now waiting for the season - will try this one out for sure!

Mittu said...

This cake looks yummy!!! I shall bake it for my anniversary. Is there any alternative to honey ?

Kannada Cuisine said...

Mittu!
If you do not have honey on hand, may be you can add a couple of tbsps of Sugar. But then Honey has a floral aroma that sugar does not :)