Kadai Paneer

Today is Friday.. my favorite day of the week. Friday called for something special. So churned up some Kadai Paneer and it turned out really tasty, just right for a Friday dinner. I wish I had a Kadai, it would have made a nice presentation. Paneer always reminds me of my sister. She makes the best ever Methi Muttar Panner in the whole world. But she has never shared her recipe. I have always been sure that she has a secret ingredient and I have never managed to find it out. This time when we meet, I should make sure to extract the recipe...
But for now, Kadai Paneer suffices.



Paneer 250 grams diced
Onions 2 medium diced
Tomato 3 big chopped
Garlic 2 cloves grated
Ginger 1/2" grated
Green Chillies 4 and above minced
Chilly powder 1 tsp and above
Dhania powder 1 tbsp
Turmeric 1 pinch
Oil 3 tbsp
Cloves 4
Cinnamon 1/2"
Milk 1/4 cup
Jeera 1 tsp
Capsicum 1 small diced
Pepper powder a dash
Salt
Fresh Coriander

Method:
  • Heat oil in a pot. Add Jeera, once it stops spluttering add the diced onions. Cook till the onions are browned and crisp at the edges.
  • Add grated garlic and ginger, minced chillies, chilly powder, dhania powder, turmeric and the tomatoes. Sprinkle some salt and simmer.
  • Using a spatula gently crush the tomatoes (if using big chunks ) and stir. Cook till oil floats on top.
  • Gently mix in the Paneer, Capsicum. (I dice Paneer rather small about 1/2" cubes, so that a little goes a long way; it can be diced as small or as big as fancied!) Simmer.
  • Once Paneer is heated through and capsicum is crisp-tender, stir in the milk gently combining everything.
  • Crush the cloves and cinnamon and sprinkle it over the Paneer mixture.
  • Bring it to a gentle boil. Adjust salt and finish it with fresh coriander. Serve it hot with Chapatis.

1 comment:

rhid said...

This sounds like it would be gorgeous! I love the spices and I adore paneer!