Badnekai Ennegai

Brinjal/eggplant ennegai is one dish that has umpteen variations. In my family we have at least 5-6 versions, my mom makes at least 2 versions, my MIL makes one, I make at least three- two from Mom and one from our North Karnataka neighbour, my sister makes at least 3 mostly different from all these. So each Ennegai is as different as apples and pears.What ever the version is I love them all. They go very well with Chapatis, rotis of all kinds and are equally comforting. This week end, the menu was rather elaborate Ennegai- the version I call unpretentious Ennegai mom's style along with both Sajje/Bajra roti and Jowar/Jolada rotti. The rotis came out perfect and the Ennegai turned out to be delightful. We had a big meal, a brunch in fact and did not have anything till 6 PM which means the meal was hardy.
This version is the quickest of all the versions I make. That is perhaps the USP of this version from mom is its simplicity and ease. I would definitely make it more often if I were to get fresh good brinjals.


You will need,

Indian Brinjal/eggplant the round purple ones small ones about 7
Salt
Oil 3 tbsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 8-9

for the masala paste:
Onion 1 small
Tomato 1 small
Garlic 2 cloves
Ginger 1/4"
Cloves 3-4
Cinnamon 1/2"
Coriander a handful
Coconut 3 tbsp


Method
  • Wash the brinjals in plenty of water, drain well and Pat it dry.
  • Grind the ingredients of Masala into a smooth paste.
  • Make a horizontal cut starting from the tip continuing till the stalk but keep the segments together.
  • Using a spoon, stuff the brinjals with the Masala paste.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Toss in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once they stop spluttering, place the stuffed brinjals gently.
  • Pour remaining Masala paste and about 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook till the brinjals are tender.
  • Serve hot with chapati/roti.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

smitha avare looks yummy.......

Infotc said...

I love to eat this dish ("Badnekai Ennegai") with akki roti..
even u added similar words -what will use in my native--thats making me very hungry on everytime if i see this post-
but in bangalore-none of the hotels prepares like this dish...

by
infotc