Cranberry Scones

Of late I have started thinking about healthful recipes. Not yet in full throttle, but yes, sort of picking up speed in the direction. We got organic milk for the first time yesterday. I am yet to open the pack but then I realized it costs twice the ordinary variety. I only hope the benefits outweigh the cost of organic stuff. So in this regard, I wanted to make something healthy for the breakfast. We normally buy the store made waffles, pancakes, bagels etc. Now that I have started reading the calorie chart, I figured out even the harmless looking waffles are loaded with transfat/ hydrogenated vegetable oil and lot more calories. So I am looking to replace these unhealthy stuff with something more healthy but also something that we can grab during our rush mornings. I looked for a lot of muffin and scone recipes, shortlisted a few of them. I love the flavour of orange and cranberries. Decided to give it a try. However, most of the muffin and scone recipes called for refined wheat flour, which is currently on my 'do-not-eat' list. So I came up with this test recipe substituting whole wheat flour for refined flour. I could not wait to share the recipe for the scones turned out to be moist and fragrant. No one can ever know it was whole wheat flour. My scones passed my honey's taste test as well. So here goes the recipe. In fact according to him, this is the second best baked goodie ever from my oven! (The first one is well the Kobbari biscuit!) So people, go ahead and give it a try and do not forget the comments!


You will need,

Whole wheat (chapati atta) 1 cup
Heavy cream 1 cup (Next time i am gonna substitute half-and- half)
Butter 2 tbsp cut into tiny cubes
Sugar 1/4 cup
Salt a pinch
Baking powder 1 tsp
Orange juice (juice of half an orange)
Dried Cranberries 1/4 cup

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F.
  • Sift flour and baking powder together.
  • Dump the salt, sugar butter cubes and cranberries. Give it a good mix.
  • Pour the cream and orange juice onto the flour mixture.
  • Mix it gently just till the everything is combined and moist.
  • Do not mix more than barely necessary
  • Roll out the dough and cut it into desired surface. (me, I just pinched small balls from the dough and baked them!)
  • Pop it into the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes till it is golden brown on top.
  • Serve hot with may be coffee/ tea/Milk.
The best part of this recipe is the absence of eggs. I love this idea. Because for me baking without eggs has been pretty challenging. So now I can say I overcame a hurdle! And of course for all my friends who are pure vegetarian, here I present a recipe that you can enjoy!

6 comments:

Savi-Ruchi said...

wow!, it looks crisp.
I donot have a oven, so noting all these to try as soon as I buy one :)

Unknown said...

wow superb mouthwatering will try and tell you

Unknown said...

wow looks very good....ur honey is a lucky man....i am a lazy goose,i cant cook.pls nanege neeve swalpa tindi kalsbidi.

TBC said...

A very Happy New Year to you!

sindhu732 said...

what do you call cranberry in kannada? where do you get it in bangalore?

Kannada Cuisine said...

I am not sure if there is a word for Cranberry in Kannada !!! If available it should be in the big super markets like food world, more etc.. If not cherries make a good substitute for Cranberries...