Saagu

Are we not all big Dosa-Idli fans? I know I am, and like all south Indians, i am very finicky about my Dosa, Idli, Smabar, Chutney and of course Saagu! Like every body back home, I have my own set of parameters a good Saagu should meet. Personally i like it red-brown colored rather than the yellow-white one. I like it hot, but not oily. I also like a variety of vegetables in mine. Most importantly, the blend of spices should be just right.
If I think of a good Saagu, I can recollect only S.N in J.P.Nagar 6 th phase. He probably makes the best of Saagus in the whole of south Bangalore. Of course we all have our own favorites right. And of course there is the perpetual favorite of Bangalore CTS, Malleshwaram- Kallu Hotel as we used to call it because it is Granite stone building! Love it!


Last week end I had prepared Dosa for a friend who is expecting!! What more nutritious than a mixed vegetable Saagu? So here it comes Bisi Bisi Saagu

Mixed Vegetables 3 cups
Coconut 2 tbsp
Red Onion 1 small (Use pearl onions if you have patience, its worth all the effort)
Tomato 2
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Salt
Coriander leaves
Curry leaves
Ghee 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Hing a pinch

For the spice blend:
Channa dal 3/4 tbsp
Urad Dal 3/4 tbsp
Red Chillies 6 and above
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Cloves 4
Cinnamon 1/4"

Method
Heat a pan. Toast all the spices one by one till fragrant. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, combined the spices, coconut, tamarind, coriander and tomatoes in a blender. Pulse it till smooth.
In another pan, heat ghee. Drop the mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Once done add the chopped onions. Stir in the spice mixture and bring it to a boil. About 10 minutes. Now add the mixed vegetable and simmer till the vegetables are cooked but crisp-tender.
Serve it hot with Dosa-Idli-Set Dosa.

4 comments:

Lakshmi said...

ri Smitha, swalpa thatte na parcel madi plzz..lunch time nalli olle oota torsidira :) mastagi ide ri saagu..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanx ri! Next time madidaga kaliustini bidi ;)

Deepthi Shankar said...

sooper .. looks delicious ...

Unknown said...

akka,,my mouth is watering kane.