Menasinakai bajji/ Jalapeno Fritters

For all Kannadigas (north, south, coastal...)there are few endearing foods that are very close to heart. We all love them with equal passion. One such food is Menasinakai - aka Menasina kai Bajji -Mirchi Bajji. The nomenclature differs, in south Karnataka it is called Menasinakai bajji, in central Karnataka it is called Menasinakai, in the northern part it is called Mirchi bajji. Again the way it is relished is also different. In south, it is rather stand alone, we just eat them without any accompaniments! or eat it with a small salad like sprinkling of carrots, onion, lime juice and some masala. In the central and northern parts it is relished with Churmuri- Mandakki oggarane/ Puri oggarane/Mandoli vagani or Pav. My cousin who was raised in Bellary which is sort of north-central part of Karnataka, is a big foodie as well. Well I should say every one in my family are true foodies, we all compete with each other for the top spot. I wonder who will eventually win. (May be my grandfather, no one can beat his age :)) So each one us being very particular about how a dish should taste, it is a hard job to please every one of us!! My mom, my cousin, my sister are few people who mostly end up pleasing all of us. Me on the other hand, can be very highly rated, or very poorly rated. I lack the consistency. May be in these two years, my skills have indeed improved! I will get to test it this time when I head back home.

Coming back to my cousin, he is an armature photographer has clicked some wonderful pictures. He is very lucky that his work involves a lot of traveling and he gets pictures from places far and wide. You can find some of his work here. Here is a sample of his work! Man I was drooling the minute I saw this picture... The bajjis looks absolutely mouth watering.



Also, this is what he had to say about the lick smaking goodie.

"... Menashinkai as we call it and love to eat it with Pav, Mandoli(Churmuri as you would call it) and the our fav. Mandoli vagani ( you should eat this on the road side, just yummmY)....."

One version of the recipe is here.

19 comments:

FH said...

Looks so crispy and delicious. I am on liquid diet today, not fair to show these to me now! :D

Kannada Cuisine said...

Good luck with your liquid diet Ashakka!! Naale Bajji madi enjoy madi aste ;) That will compensate for today's liquid diet..

Vani said...

Menasinakayi bajji looks super-delicious, Smitha!
Read about your copycat. How shameful, na? It's just a matter of saying where they got info from and giving due credit.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Vani,
Yeah! Absolutely... just a matter of one more line. That is the netiquette that many people out there are not aware of. It is so sad

Recipeswap said...

I am trying to loose weight as you know,so plz dnt tempt.Looks so good though.

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Looks very beautiful and tempting.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Crisy and yummy bajji..Nice to find another Kannadiga.

Ashwini said...

Drooling over it..Miss all the road side bhajjis..This is making me tempting..

A_and_N said...

I think no matter what you call it....everybody will agree that its one of the best possible snacks in this world :) Yours look very nice, golden and crispy :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@n33ma,
You are right.. I see to pile on kilos at the very sight of food :)

Thanks @Lakhsmi and Pavitra

@Ashwini!
looks like a lot of us are so much more fascinated with these goodies!

@A_and_N
thanks a lot. BTW this is not something I made , my cousin clicked the pic at a road side cart :) but is it not more tasty when you are eating by the road side( however much dirty it could be ) :)

Arathi Sridhar said...

Ooooh...menasinakayi bajji ! It looks so yummy smitha! ivagle maadi tinnona anstha ide :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Aarthi..
Ade alva nam weakness Aarthi! bajji nodidre saaku bayalli neeru :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love this sooo much ... A hot fave at home

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Deesha,
same at my place...

Paru ... said...

Yumm Yumm smitha..Love Bajjis..Feeling so Jealous that u r going home :)..Enjoy ur time girl..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Paru :)

Varsha Vipins said...

wowwwwww..yummy Bhaji Smitha..I am drooling here..so crisp..!!

ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...

my mom loves them a lot

Tina said...

Looks so delicious nd crispy....