Aloo Bhendi/ Spicy Potato & Okra

Lady's finger aka Okra is my all time favorite vegetable. I know it is a slimy little thingie, but I have grown to love it in all forms... except the boiled version. It is perennial vegetable back home in Karnataka. So we always had the required supply at the market. I discovered its seasonality during my years in Delhi. It is a winter vegetable there and our miserly hostel mess used to serve us this vegetable only during winters. When ever they made Bhendi, it was my feast.. .I should say it was never Bhendi alone, it was Aloo Bendhi. Loads of aloo and a few bhendi peeping from in between. Because I used to be the first to go to the mess, I had this option of asking for more bhendi and less aloo. Our 'bhaiyyaji'- the cook in charge of serving that day would mostly oblige, after all I was one of the few hazzle free senior citizen of 'Sabarmati'. However pathetic the other food was, I still miss a few good things our mess provided us and Aloo bhendi is definitely one of them. I always wondered why Bhendi tasted so different in our mess, till one day one of the cooks revealed the secret. Deep frying...
Last week I suddenly started craving for Aloo bhendi the way they made it back in 'Sabarmati' hostel! So here it is.

Aloo Bhendi

Serves 4 ||  Calories per serving  275 Kcl | Protein 5.5 gm |  fat 14 gm || Fiber 7.52 gm |

Okra 1 lb
Potatoes 2 big
Oil to deep fry + 2 tbsp
Red chilly powder 1 tsp
Dhania powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Cumin ground 1/2 tsp
Coriander fresh 1/4 cup
Onion 1 big
Tomato 1 big
Garam Masala 1/4 tsp
Lime juice
Salt to taste.

Method:
  1. Wash the Okras and spread it out to dry for at least an hour. That way it will be a lot less slimy.
  2. Trim the tops and tails of the okra and cut it into 2.5" pieces. Chop the potatoes into one inch cubes.
  3. Heat oil in a pot. Once it is hot enough, gently lower okra pieces and fry till done but still bright green in colour about 3 minutes or so. Drain it on a paper towel
  4. Deep fry potatoes and drain them on a paper towel.
  5. Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Throw in diced onions. Cook till the onions are light brown, that is a tab more brown than say if it were golden!
  6. Add all the spice powders, toss well and throw in the diced tomato. If the tomato are not juicy enough, add about 1/4 cup of water. Simmer till the tomato breaks down. Now throw in the fried okras and potatoes. Sprinkle some water, and cover with a tight fitting lid.
  7. Once the potatoes of tender and breaks down between two fingers, adjust the salt, throw in the garam masala and turn off the heat.
  8. Sprinkle the coriander and lime juice and serve hot with Phulka and a raita. We had it with Bajra phulka, raita and Bharwan Karela... It was a yummy meal.

24 comments:

Lakshmi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lakshmi said...

ayoo..innondu blog nodtha avra hesru illi barde nodi. Nimma aloo bhendi nodi nanna ranchi hostel nenapu bantu..onderadu roti jote aloo bhendi super!

Savi-Ruchi said...

nanage ondu bite sigutta??

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Howda LG!! Neevu Ranchi nalli iddiri andre nimage North Indian hostels kathe chennagi artha agutte alva..

@ Sushma, Banni nam manege... sigutte

Recipeswap said...

That look so nice and spicy.whats the fried thingie in the back ground that looks very interesting too....fried bitter gourd?

Finla said...

Looks realy so dleicous.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I loved your story... I have been in similar situations and done that... Looks yum!
Lovely blog too...

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks a lot home cooked Oriya food! hope to see you again :)

Anonymous said...

Heh! never realized Bhendi was seasonal! Yeah, we get it year around in Mumbai!

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Sudhir R said...

Bhendi is a great vegitable, whether stir fried or anything else, I have never tasted with aloo, though Bhendi ka salan (with Mutton is a regular fare for us)

Hb said...

I can SO relate to the hostel mess and aloo-bhindi story. Though I have come across your blog before first time that I am commenting. Great space. Oh,by the way do you use dessicated/fresh coconut in BisiBeleBhath?Kopra is coconut,no? Can't think of a better person to ask this :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ ArunShanbhag,
Is it not strange? Yeah! that is exactly how I felt when I was told about it...

@Sudhir,
Bhendi ka Salan? I will need to borrow the recipe from you and give it a shot...

@My experiments with cooking...
Thanks for comment....We use dry coconut or dessicated coconut in BBB.. Not the fresh one. This is one ingredient which is a must to get that nutty aroma. I will clarify it on the post.. Thanks for bringing the confusion to my notice.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

looks very nice

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love aloo Bhindi too .. been ages since I made them

Sindhura said...

Looks spicy and tasty!!!
Great combo with rotis/chapathis!!!
Drop in sometime

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow .......looks drool worthy......spicy and yum....

Unknown said...

Aloo bhendi yummmm mouthwatering beautiful pic.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ thanks folks

Ann said...

Aloo and Bhendi is a nice combo for rotis:) Looks yummm

Archy said...

Never tried bhendi with aloo, looks so gud.. shall try soon !!

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Ann and Archy i hope you give it a try!

Nithya said...

Lovely dish... looks very yummy...

First time to your blog and find it too good. Nice pics too.. keep it going.

Welcome to my blogs too. Take a peep when u find time.

Sharon said...

My meal for today - this and your tomato palys - awesome - I was craving for some s.indian food, and this hit the spot!

thanks!

chowringhee said...

Thank you for sharing this information and Very good looking blog.very informative article.
laxmi nagar restaurant, indian food,chinese food