Halkheer/ Milk Kheer

I have developed an incredibly incurable sweet tooth! Of late I am craving for sweet like nobody’s business!! Now that my mother will be going back to India in two weeks, I am resorting to sweets for comfort. Mom is making all sorts of sweets to comfort me and my palate. She made Halkheer the other day. Kheer is one of those victuals associated with celebrations, festivities, joy and comfort. There are umpteen number of Kheer recipes calling for ingredients as varied as Channa dal, rice to Lotus seeds/ Makhana.
Halkheer aka Milk-Kheer is one of my mom's specialties. I have not had it else where. I am not sure if it is a standard recipe at all!It is kinda a hybrid between plain Milk kheer and Badam Milk..

Photobucket

We will need,

Milk 2 Cups + 3 tbsp
Cashew nut unsalted 4 tbsp
Coconut grated, unsweetened 4 tbsp
Sugar   2 tbsp + according to taste.

Method
  1. Soak Cashew nuts in the 3 tbsp warm milk for at least two hours.
  2. Pulse coconut and soaked cashews + milk in a blender till very smooth.
  3. Pour the mixture into the remaining milk, stir in the sugar and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a few more minutes till all the flavours mingle. Remove from fire and cool. Refrigerate before serving.
  4. Use a few strands of saffron or a pinch of crushed cardamom for extra flavour.
Serves two, (only one if it is me :)

15 comments:

Tina said...

Yummy and delicious kheer...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Simple & delicious kheer

FH said...

Yummy. I love Hal Kheeru with Obbattu, made it 2 years ago for Shivaratri once. Looks good, enjoy mom's cooking! :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

yummy ... nice

Lakshmi said...

nange eega a battalu kottubitre swargakke 3 genu :D superagi kantha ide!

Savi-Ruchi said...

wow!!, yestu chenda bandide picture. Halkheer.., I have not seen my mom prepare this. New to me :)

Pari Vasisht said...

Mom's food is always so good. The kheer looks so nice and yet a simple thing to try.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Yummy kheer...looks so tempting.

Recipeswap said...

Have fun while ur moms around!looks so yummy.I too started craving for sweet during my pregnancy and it stills on !

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks folks...

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks folks...

shahana said...

Looks really really yumm!!!

ARUNA said...

That's a delicious kheer!

Rachana said...

Noone can beat Mom's cooked food in this whole world...the food tastes always so yummy and good:) Enjoy every day with your mom and obviously the yummy food:) Kheer looks yummm:)

Cicily Antony said...

tasty gheer...i want it now...