Shavige Pulao

My MIL is with us these days. She is getting to know her brand new grandson and I am getting to know some of her delightful signature dishes. I am having the time of the world, getting to eat everything. Since I am out of the post-partum diet (more or less, still slightly hesitant about cabbage family and such stuff), I am eating everything she prepares. Of course all the love makes it extra-special.
Here is one of her signature recipes... Shavige pulao, it is vermicelli replacing rice in Pulao. It is hard to explain how good it is. Besides it takes about 30 minutes to make, what better than such a dish for a quick breakfast, or say a week end brunch??

We will need,

Vermicelli / Shavige   3 Cups
Mixed Vegetables      1.5 Cups
Ghee                          2 tbsp
Oil                             2 tbsp (MIL's original recipe calls for 4 tbsp)

Grind,
Onion                         1/2 big
Pudina/ Mint                1/4 C
Coriander                    1/4 C
Green Chillies               4
Ginger                         1/2"
Garlic                         2 cloves
Cloves                        3
Cinnamon                   1/4"
Turmeric                      1/2 tsp
Dhania  powder           2 tsp

Method
  • Toast vermicelli in one tbsp of Ghee. Set it aside.
  • Combine all the ingredients under "grind" in a blender. Pulse till mixture is smooth.
  • Heat the remaining oil and ghee in a wide bottom pan. Tip in the vegetables, saute till cooked half way through. 
  • Add the ground mixture. Cook till the spices are fragrant. About 10 -15 minutes.
  • Add 4.5 cups of water to the simmering spices. Bring it to a slow boil. 
  • Dump the vermicelli, stir and cover. Cook till done. Serve with some raita on the side.

16 comments:

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

great to knw abt u...we have this dish @ our sunday bf...looks so tempting..
irst time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



sanyuktagour(bayes)
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Nisha said...

I'm bookmarking this one :)

Rachana said...

A very interesting recipe...looks delicious :) Thanks to your mil :)

Savi-Ruchi said...

This is exactly how my mom makes normal pulao (except for the garlic & she adds little coconut). I have heard a lot about shavige pulao. will give a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

AJ said...

Looks delicious!! Love that you added mint to the recipe.

FH said...

Looks like a very flavorful Pulao, can imagine the aroma in the kitchen.

Fathima said...

that looks like a great dish and easy to make too...

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Simple and lovely dish...

Sudhir R said...

I love this dish. Even when it shavige replaces rava in Upma. I will remember to ask for this dish, later bangalore.

Sudhir R said...

I love this dish. Even when it shavige replaces rava in Upma. I will remember to ask for this dish, later in bangalore.

Sudhir R said...

I love this dish. Even when it shavige replaces rava in Upma. I will remember to ask for this dish, later in bangalore.

Dipika said...

woo..finally found a few karnataka blogs..busy till married life couldnt learn all our karnataka dishes...i m sure this blog would help me retain our recipes...

Thanks for sharing..Nice blog :)

Suja Manoj said...

Sounds interesting recipe and looks so fabulous.Easy to make..bookmarking this one :)

Sindhura said...

mmmmm tasty n easy to prepare pulao....Thnks for sharing....
Drop in sometime

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this website.
I really hope to see the same high-grade content from
you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities
has encouraged me to get my very own site now ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also visit this web site on regular basis
to obtain updated from hottest news.