Sabakki Payasa Short cut

Festival season in full swing and here comes Sabakki payasa. As kids me and my sister called this one "gulle gulle payasa" aka 'bubble bubble' payasa, and the name has struck to it. Pearly bubbly milky delight it is still my sister's favorite dessert. To me it always reminds me of 'Pythons'.... well the story goes something like this. Mom was making this payasa one day probably the year was 1991. As usual I was lying on the couch probably reading or watching TV. Mom wanted me to help her, one of the very few days that she needed me to do something. But I did not move, I was there lying like a lazy Python. She got angry and called me just that, 'you lazy Python, come here and help me'. For some reason, I got very offended. Now that I look back what was it about? Just a Python! But back then I was very upset, 'Python' I hate snakes. I said I have nothing to do with anybody for the rest of the day. I went and shut myself up in my room. Later, at dinner time, my mom cajoled me to come and have some 'gulle gulle payasa'. Barely awake, I said ' Pythons do not eat gulle gulle payasa' and I did not eat it. I fell back asleep. Later the next day, I realized I had not had my 'gulle gulle payasa' but nothing remained it of, not even a trace. Probably that taught me well and I never skip my meals or for that matter, I just eat when ever I have a chance!

Like any other Payasa, the regular version means reducing milk till it becomes creamy and rich. But this time around, I did not have the time to stand at the stove and stir..stir and stir. I had to get it done fast, so I took the help of my pantry friend Nestle S A....It worked out fine. Though it is just not the same when I stand at the stove and stir the milk to make a creamy payasa. Like, I never had back ache later, and the payasa still managed to disappear with immediate effect!

We will need,

Sabudana/ Sabakki  1/2 cup
Whole milk  1 cup
Sweetened condensed milk  5 oz
Evaporated Milk 5 oz
Saffron a pinch
Cardamon ground a pinch
Raisins 1/4 cup
Ghee 1 tbsp

Method:
  • Wash the Sabbakki in several changes of water. Soak in water just enough to cover it for about 1 hour sometimes longer. When it is ready it should not be tough in the center when we bite it. Drain it throughly.
  • Soak the saffron in a tbsp of warm milk. Set it aside.
  • In a thick bottom pot, I use a non-stick pot, combine the Sabakki with 3/4 cup of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat. Cook till the Sabakki is almost translucent but not fully cooked. 
  • Now stir in the rest of the milk and cook till the Sabakki is completely cooked. Reduce heat to low and simmer till it thickens about 5 minutes.
  • Stir in the evaporated milk, saffron, cardamon and the condensed milk. Cook till it is well blended and coats the back of the spoon. remove from heat.
  • Heat ghee in a pan. Once hot, throw in the raisins. Saute the raisins till they plump up. Remove from heat. 
  • Pour the ghee and the raisins on the Payasa. Serve hot/ cold/ room temperature.

5 comments:

Nisha said...

Nice payasam

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice and delicious payasam.. yummy :)
Indian Cuisine

Priya Suresh said...

Rich looking delicious payasam..

Recipeswap said...

delicious payasa!good click!

Raghuveer said...

Thanks for this recipe. Somehow, that name 'GuLLe Payasa' has stayed with our family as well.