Tondekayi Fry

After three short years my laptop battery decided to die on me stalling my life as a blogger for weeks. Just happened to receive my shipment and guess what the first thing on my mind, write up a post. I have a bunch of photographs from the previous weeks that needs to be done and sent to blogger heaven!


Here is the first one. Tondekayi or the Tindora /Ivy goud is one of my favorite vegetables. It makes a wonderful Huli, Palya and also Gojju. This one is a fry. In my lexicon, that means a more elaborate dish than a Palya but less so than a Gojju. Mom makes a delicious version but that one seems to take forever and also she uses like a cup of oil for every kilo of the vegetable which is a little too much even by my standard. But sure enough it is absolutely tastey. This version is my modified version with much less oil almost the bang taste wise.

We will need,

Ivy Gourd/Tondekayi/ Tindora 2 lbs (cleaned slit into four length wise, ends discarded)
Peanut oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Hing a dash
Curry leaves a handful
Turmeric a generous pinch
Green chillies 4-5 chopped
Dhania powder 1.5 tsp
Jeera powder 1 tsp
Jaggery  about a tsp crushed
Amchoor powder 1.5 tsp
Kopra 1/4 cup (coarsely powdered)
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Heat peanut oil in a non-stick wide bottom skillet. 
  • Throw in the mustard, Jeera, Hing and curry leaves. Once they stop sizzling, throw in the Ivy Gourd. Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes till they are every so slightly tender. 
  • Throw in all the spice powders, stir well cover and cook till three fourth cooked. It took me about 10 minutes on very low heat. 
  • Once the Ivy gourds are tender-crisp, throw in the Kopra, adjust salt and remove from heat immediately. 
  • Serve hot with hot rice and a little ghee. Goes well with Rotis as well.

10 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent side dish for dal fry, yummy dish.

Unknown said...

Really a very simple and fab veg tondekayi.

I can ustand when u stuck without the lappy.

Welcome back and hope to see more recipes

Happy shivrathri.

Unknown said...

Hi Smitha, tondekayi palya looks delicious. It is one of the veggies I ate after I got married :-)and I love it.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

nice curry...i loved it

Sudhir R said...

Sudha makes this and I quite like it. did you hear about budmekayi, kadchekayi?. I will be visiting Bellary shortly will send you the pictures.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Priya,Latha,Nagashree,Mala thanks


@Sudhir Budmekayi? Kadchekayi? cannot place them May be pictures will help

Unknown said...

Smitha, I have something for you at my blog, check out http://sattvaa.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-award-recognition.html

Kumudha said...

I like to eat thondekayi with chappathis...

So many great recipes here...

Thanks for sharing so many traditional recipes from Namma Naadu, Karnataka!

Savi-Ruchi said...

I become handicapped without the laptop for a day! Can imagine your state :D
This tondekai fry is my favorite dish. Wish we stayed close to each other.

Chitz said...

Hey.. First time at ur space.. Always wanted to learn some new Kannada recipes.. Glad I came across ur blog.. Am ur new follower !!