Dhideer Chakkuli / Easy Chakkuli

This Deepavali, I did not have in stock Mom's or MIL's Chakkuli flour also means that it is about time I go home. So I was forced to make my own. Obviously I do not have the luxury of flour mills,nor do I have the luxury of time here so I had to do something easier and quicker. Mom suggested me a recipe which is popular in the rural areas. My folks who live in the more rural parts  and do not have uninterrupted electricity, make Chakkuli for Mahaekadashi this way.
Chakkuli made this way turned out to be crispier and stays that way for as long as three weeks. But appearance wise  they have a rustic look to it and it might look a little patchy, not homogeneously golden brown. But they did taste absolutely good and super crunchy.

We will need,

Urad dal (washed and split) 2 cups
Rice flour (as required, sorry I could not measure it)
Cumin seeds 1.5 tsp
Sesame seeds 2 tsp
Chilli powder (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Oil to deep fry.
Method:
  •  Pick and clean the Urad dal and wash it in several changes of water. Place the dal in a pressure cooker with 4 cups of water and cook till the dal is soft.
  • Once the dal is cool enough to handle, use a wooden spatula to mash the dal.
  • Stir in the rest of the ingredients into the dal. Keep adding rice flour little by little to form a soft dough like that of Chapati. Knead the dough well and keep it aside.
  • Adjust all the seasoning.
  • Now heat the oil in a big Kadai.
  • Grease a Chakkuli mould. Press the dough into spirals of Chakkuli on a wax paper. 
  • Once the oil is warn enough, lower the Chakkuli spiral into hot oil carefully.  Fry till golden brown, remove and drain on several layers of paper towels. 
  • Once cool, store in an air tight box. Chakkuli's stay good for several weeks. If a good(i prefer refined sunflower oil) oil is used to deep fry, it will stay good for as long as a month, though they are unlikely to last that long!

6 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Chakli hege madidru, tinnoke matra super kushi. Chakli looks yumm..

Savi-Ruchi said...

I also make the same chakkuli. I use around 3-4 cups of rice flour (for 1 cup of urad dal) depending upon the quality of the rice flour & the urad dal. The only difference in my method is, I dry roast the rice flour until it is very light brown in color. It's been a while since I made it. Will make it soon. Thanks Smitha :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

super chakli...

Unknown said...

Chennagide chakli Smitha, I have been making it this way for a while now as I don't get the chakli hittu from home now. 1 urad dal:4 cups rice flour is my proportion.

Aparna Daty said...

Awesome looking chaklis. Can I know if uddin bele should be cooked mushy or the dal should look separate .....approximately how many whistles ?

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hello Aparna, the softer the dal, the easier it will be to mash. Also the number of whistles will depend on the make and model of the pressure cooker you are using.