Avalakki Bisi Bele Bhaat/ Spiced Poha Porridge

During my perusal of a few of my favorite blogs, I came across this recipe by
Sushma . I remember eating it in temples on Ekadashi. The eleventh day of a month in the Hindu calender.We are supposed to fast on the day and eat very little before retiring to bed. So most often then not, it is Upittu, Avalakki(beaten rice) or things like that. I cannot fast every month but I end up fasting on Vaikunta Ekadashi and Mahi Ekadashi, the two most auspicious of Ekadashis.
It on on such occasions that this particular recipe becomes very useful. I had to do a test run before I note it down so here it is. It turned out to be yummy and very easy as well. So here it is.

Avalakki BBB

This recipe goes out to the Easy Breezy Breakfast Event.

13 comments:

Lakshmi said...

ohoo...avalakki bisibelebhath yummy picyure haakidira, sakkathagi ide kanri

Unknown said...

ohooo ho super kanri yenchennagi madidira tuppa tumba haakki avalakki bisibelebath uuummmmmm mouthwatering

EC said...

Wow..this is one long pending dish on my list...thanks for participating

FH said...

Must try Avalakki BBB, delicious! :))

Deepthi Shankar said...

i love avalakki bisibele bath, looks yummm, r u from Bangalore?

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Deesha,
Bangalore, yes sort of. Grew up in Bangalore, Mysore, Tumkur and Amritsar. Lived in Delhi for a long time! But old time Bangalore (now extinct) is what was home to me!

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow thatz a lot of places, I too like you was brought up in many places cuz of transfers, My husband too was brought up in old Bangalore - Shankarpuram. Now most of my family is settled there. Where in Bangalore are you from?

Sunshinemom said...

I love bisibelebhath, and yours looks dishy:) Too good! I haven't tried with aval though. Thanks! Will try this too!

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hey Deesha,
My Paternal grandparents live in Mahalakshmi Layout that is where we also lived once upon a time,it was Bangalore outskirts,but now very much in the thick of things, my Maternal folks were in Malleshwaram for a long time, but a few years ago they shifted to Koramangala; My in-laws live in J.P.Nagar near Ragi gudda Anjaneya temple. So I sort of keep joking I went from one Anjaneya temple to another with respect to marriage! Essentially it is Malleshwaram, Rajainagar that i identify as 'my Bangalore'! Any way all my kith and kin are in Bangalore, you name the area, I have someone there. But my parents are in Maddur, my father has a obligatory 'rural' service!

Archy said...

Hey, bisibelebath with avalakki, sakath agide, try madtini !!

sra said...

I'm not sure I even knew this dish existed - very interesting!

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz nice to know. My parents also live close to Ragidudda temple. thatz jayanagar 9th block & my in laws are in Girinagar. we are now in the process of winding up things in zurich, we will be in Bangalore for a while

Savi-Ruchi said...

Hi Smitha

Thanks a lot for trying my recipe, hope you all liked it :)