Christmas Lunch

Christmas was a rather strange festival for us. When we were kids, we used to have vacations only during the Dasara festival- one complete month. But those at St.Mary's used to get 2 weeks for Dasara and 2 weeks for Christmas. We used to gloat during Dasara festival and envy them during Christmas. My cousin used to study at St.Mary's and she used to come along with her mother to visit us and we did be green with envy. Also I did not have Christian friends till I got to college. So all I knew about Christmas was the much envied Vacation.
Once I got to college, I became friends with two Christians. One particular year, one of them invited us - a gang of about 7-8 to their Christmas lunch. We were served some amazing food. She also managed to feed us friends some mutton cutlet by stealth. It tasted good till we got to know what was in it! We could not have guessed but for a through bred non-vegetarian amongst us. I don't know I simply could not puke or feign nausea, may be out of respect or may be I was too intimidated by the crib and all other holy stuff on display that day.. Any ways, they say, it is not a crime (paapa) to do something out of ignorance. So I forgave myself. But these days I am extra cautious of what ever I eat. Simple rules. I do not have to break my belief to appear polite right. Never mind, I wonder what that friend of mine is doing these days. It has been some time that we spoke to each other...
My other Christian friend was slightly different. She used to drop by with a box of home made cup cakes some where between Christmas and New Year. No prizes for guessing I loved those visits! Then Christmas also meant 'Home Alone' series. Oooo How I loved Macaulay Calkuin, the snow and the soundtrack of the series... Did not so much like the last one though the kid was cute. hehe

This Christmas, being here in USA, was a different experience. It is such a big thing here. And of course it is the season of eating, shopping and spending times with loved ones. I was rather surprised to see perfectly sane and resonable folks turn into shopping manaics for a few weeks. It was good to see so many people at the shopping mall though. And who would not love to shop. (I would shop till I drop had I the kind of money) As a pleasant surprise, Honey got me a Donna Karen perfume that I had been eyeing for quiet some time but the price tag had sort of put me off. This is what we did on Christmas.
  1. Got up sort of late, relaxing morning.
  2. Bundled up into the car, the late morning was rather warm after a brutal snow storm and went out for a drive
  3. Found eveything closed even Dunkin Donuts!!! But our Patel stores was open. Picked up some vegetables including 'Avarekai' from Patels'
  4. Came home, fixed something elegant but simple.
  5. Poped open a bottle of sparkling Cranberry juice and drank half a bottle, reserved the other half for another occassion.
  6. Watched a movie and hit the sack early.
Here is our Christmas lunch plate. For the main course it was stuffed portobellos, Roasted popatoes, brussels sprouts, and black bean salad. When I passed the loaded plate to Honey, his first reaction was 'what is this all?' No rice, no chapatis!! But then by the time we were half way through, we were full.


Here is the stuffed portobellos,

Portobello Mushrooms 2
Spinach 1/2 package fresh pre washed baby spinach
Mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup (or more if desired)
Salt
Peper
Chilly flakes a generous pinch
Olive oil 2 tsps

Method:
  • Heat oil in a pan. Saute Spinach wilt it down completely. Stir in salt and chilly flake, turn off the flame.
  • Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
  • Heat a tawa. Grill the mushrooms for about 3 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool
  • Once the spinach is cool enough to handle, stir in the cheese.
  • Pile the spinach and cheese mixture on to the cavity of mushrooms.
  • Turn on the broiler. Pop the mushrooms into the oven and broil it for about 4-6 minutes. Keep a close eye. It tends to burn very quicky.
  • Serve it hot.

6 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Christmas lunch plate looks delicious Smitha. Trust you had fantastic time.

Archy said...

Wow, relaxing day !! Christmas lunch looks so nice an yum !!

Sunshinemom said...

I love stuffed mushrooms - but then I love anything to do with shrooms:)

FH said...

Green badanekai, I was looking for them everywhere and one day I found the seeds sold by Martha Stewart at K Mart!! Can you imagine the joy? :D

But nowadays these plants can be bought at Lowe's.You don't get much yield from them, few makes me very happy! :))

Love the thali, glad you enjoyed the new year's day.

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks delicious. I think its okie to eat out of ignorance. Once me & my husband went out for dinner with friends. we actually mistook shrimp BBQ for Potatoes BBQ & ate a couple of them & later I felt soo guilty abt it.

Unknown said...

that plate looks so inviting smitha stuff mushrooms hummmmm intresting recipe