Methi Mutter Malai/ Creamed Spinach & Peas

Growing up with siblings is so wonderful. Me and my sister like all other siblings share a special bond. We have had our days, fights, managed to break ladles and knives during the hottest of fights but then after all said and done, she is still just a little kid with big eyes. She will remain that way long after she had had her kids and grand kids.It is just the distance that getting older brings in between us that I definitely do not like. I would give my world to go back to those days when me and her were confidants in crime, whether it was pinching coins from mom's Goddess Lakshmi Hundi-piggy bank or eating dirty ice candy on stealth. I do wonder if she remembers any of those, but I for sure remember one incident that even today as I write gives me goose pimples.About 20 years ago, we lived in Mysore the city of palaces and there was a saw mill right next to our house, very close to Mysore palace. We often used to go there and play in the saw dust and the trolley which shoves heavy lumber onto the sharp huge blades. The trolley could be moved by steering a lever on the dock. It used to be fun. One of us would sit on the trolley mostly my sister because she was too small to steer the lever and if our other play mates were around I would join her and some body else would steer us all. Most of the times we used to be there well after school and therefore the saw mill would be closed with the blades safely removed. On one day, it was just me and my sister and we both went there just like any other day and I sat her on the trolley, started to steer it. I did not realize that the blades were very much in place and I kept steering. When my sister was about a feet and a half from the blades, some one came it and yelled at me to stop. Gosh! I stop and I have goose pimples all over. Boy!! What was i ever thinking when I was doing it all.. What a monkey was I...
I cannot but thank god that nothing untoward happened that day, otherwise.......
I could not have had the wonderful Methi Mutter Malai ever in my life. Lol

She is a awesome cook and this dish is probably her master piece. I tried to extract the recipe from her but I suspect there is at least one key ingredient that she is hiding from me for, however much I try, it simply is not like what she makes. Never mind, this version too is really good. I had a lot of guests the other day and everyone liked it. Very easy recipe to scale up as well...

Photobucket

You will need,

Peas 2 cups
Methi leaves frozen 3 cubes
Onion 1 medium
Garlic 3 cloves
Ginger 1/2"
Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
Turmeric a pinch
Chilly powder 2 tsp (Adjust according to taste)
Dhania powder 2 tbsp
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 3 tbsp
Jeera 1 tsp

Method:
  • Wash the peas, thaw the Methi cubes and wring out excess moisture out of the Methi.
  • Grind onions, garlic and ginger into a smooth paste.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Drop Jeera into the hot oil. Once it stops spluttering, add the onion paste. Stir well to combine and cook the mixture till it is golden in color and oil starts to ooze out.
  • Mix in the Chilly powder, Dhania powder, Turmeric. Stir well to combine, gently toss everything a couple of times making sure it does not stick to the bottom.
  • Stir in the peas and methi. Add about 1/4 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
  • Reduce heat, gently mix in the cream and garam masala. Adjust salt.
  • Simmer for a few more minutes till the flavors are all combined.
  • Remove from heat and serve hot with Roti/Poori or any other breads.We had it with pooris and it was delicious.
This recipe goes out to the epic My Legume Love Affair- Seventh Helping hosted this time by our beloved Srivalli, initiated by the Well Seasoned Cook-Susan




Indeed I do not need to emphasize my love for legumes!Do I?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

methi mutter malai yummy looks so creamy love the color

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Happy New Year.

Its the season for green peas here so peas get cooked at home, every which way!

Your post just reminded me of one more way.:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Methi mutter malai, sounds too gud to me, love it. Thnaks for the comments at my diet blog, dear. I hardly keep a track of it, I am glad that you liked them. Wish you bumped into my food blog tho'

www.kitchentantra.com

Paru ... said...

I luv this dish..Yours looks very delicious Smitha..Great recipe..Happy new year to you..

Sharmi said...

nice name!! never tried this before,looks delish.

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry ..looks perfect!

Rajee said...

Inviting and creamy dish taste like restaurant.