Chutney Pudi/ Chutney Powder

My mother-in-law is an expert Chutney Pudi maker. She makes a variety of them and all of them are equally yummy. Steaming hot rice, some Chutney Pudi and a spoonful of ghee together makes such a good combo. I love it and it is something I crave for when I get tired of the normal rice-curry routine. This time in India I noted down the recipe for her Curry leaf Chutney pudi and here it comes.



we will need,

Curry leaves 2 cups (washed and wiped dry)
Dry coconut/copra/ona kobbari/ dessicated coconut 3 cups (grated and loosely packed)
Dry red chillies 10 -12
garlic 1/4 c loosely packed
Tamarind the size of a lemon
Pepper corns 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing a generous dash
Oil 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan.
  2. Throw in the mustard seeds, once they splutter add the hing.
  3. Throw in the curry leaves, stir.
  4. Add the chillies and keep stirring
  5. Add the remaining ingredients, keep stirring till the dry coconut is warm and fragrant.
  6. Remove from heat and spread it on a cookie sheet. Cool it down to room temperature.
  7. Pulse the spice mixture in a coffee grinder till coarse.
  8. Serve it as a accompaniment with meals.

16 comments:

Ann said...

That must be soo good with Idli :) yumm

Archy said...

goes well with idly and hot rice!!

Ashwini said...

Love this curry leaf chutney pudi. Yumm with everything.

Sanghi said...

Mmm yummy perfect podi.. even i need to make it, u reminded me smitha!

Lakshmi said...

oh..idralli kadlepoppu hakatheereno ankonde photodalli nodi :D naavu idanna kobri pudi antheevi..mastagi irathe alwa..slurrrrp! chutney pudi masale dose nenapaitu..

Hari Chandana P said...

looks perfect and yummyyy... thanks for sharing!! :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Ann, Archy,
Oh yes it goes well with Idli and anything and everything, last evening we had it with corn tortillas :)

@ Ashwini and Sanghi thanks

@LG, Actually adondu tarle bidi.. I did not have curry leaves so thought kadale poppu will be the closest :)

ARUNA said...

wow that's a nice recipe!!!!

Savi-Ruchi said...

nanna MIL chutney expert whereas my mom is chutneypudi expert. chutneypudi without kadalebele or putani, this looks different & great Smitha.

lubnakarim06 said...

Aromatic and flavourful podi.....

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Aruna, Sush and Kitchenflavours

Recipeswap said...

perfect chutney pudi Smitha.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks N33ma

Vani said...

Chutney pudi looks good. I've never tried to make it at home - still depending on mom to send me some each time :)

Archana said...

Hi, my first time here...love this chutney pudi curry leaves, will make this for sure...

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Vani, to be truthful, me too. I depend mostly on my folks for my Pudi supplies :)

@Arch, welcome and hope to see you soon