Spicy potatoes

Potatoes were not something I liked much as a child. Unlike my sister who is a big potato eater, I liked potatoes only if they were highly seasoned, spicy and fried.. Over these years I have come to appreciate the vegetable better. There was a time however during my years in the hostel and immediately afterward, that I had banned potatoes in Mom kitchen as well as mine! Now I have started to use them again and of course in a lot more creative ways than before.
This is one such dish. We had it as a side dish the other day.

Spanish Potatoes

We will need,

Potatoes 1/2 lb cubed
Olive oil 1/4 C
Chilly Powder 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Capsicum 1 medium diced
Cumin powder 1/4 tsp
Garlic 1 clove diced up fine.
Vinegar 2 tbsp
Salt
Pepper to taste
Mint leaves a handful

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a thick bottomed saute pan.
  2. Toss in potatoes. Coat well with oil and saute it on medium high heat till they are browned at the bottom.
  3. Stir to make sure they brown well on all sides.
  4. Mix the vinegar, chilly powder and cumin powder. Set it aside.
  5. When the potatoes are cooked half way through, toss in the chopped garlic, diced capsicum and the spice-vinegar mixture.
  6. Mix well. Sprinkle the mint leaves, salt and pepper and cover. Cook on a low heat till the potatoes are fork tender.


Serve as a side dish with rotis or paranthas.

11 comments:

Ann said...

I always love potato fry! this looks so yumm.

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love anything with potatoes .. such a nice dish ..

Pavithra Kodical said...

I love anything prepared with potato :)Delicious palya.

Sudhir R said...

I love Potato, though I have reduced the intake, but potato goes well in so many dishes. You must ask sudha for the Aloo Telangana recipe

Lakshmi said...

Vinegar haki madiddu nodiddu ide modalu nodi. Superagi kantha ide Aloogadde palya.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Ann, Deesha and Pavithra, same here :)

@Sudhir,
I remember Aloo Telangana... It was excellent that was what S Akka had prepared last time when we visited right!!

@LG, howdu ri.. ade twist.. Onthara chennagittu vinegar taste potatoes jotege..

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Vinegar for alugadde palya ? Mmm need to try it out. Meandered in while surfing the web..

Madhu Rao
www.indimag.com

Savi-Ruchi said...

I second with LG.., naanu vinegar hakiddu node iralilla bidi..
I am also not a big fan of aloo, infact I dont like them even now :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Yep!! vinegar adds a nice twist.. I hope you folks give it a shot

Archy said...

Love potato, but never tried with capsicum and vineger !! Gud one need to try !!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi! Great way to make potatoes, am surely going to try. Lot of kannadigas into blogging.Check out my blog if u pls.