Urad Dal

For some reason I never thought of making Urad dal as a main course dish. The legume was reserved for Idlis and Dosas, nothing less and nothing more. But last time when I visited my friend in Bangalore, she was telling me about her postpartum sojourn with her north Indian mother-in-law. Apparently the MIL was dishing up Urad dal every day as it is considered good for new moms. I was horrified but at the same time curious as well. I had to give it a try.
To be on the safer side I did not do the simpler basic dal, instead took the longer route because I was not convinced that this dal was fit to be consumed this way.
The results were not bad. Honey liked it. I was OK with it but definitely not something I did dish up thrice a week. May be it is a good way to use up the dal if it is sitting on your pantry self for too long.

Urad Dal
We will need,

Urad Dal 1/2 C (Split and hulled variety )
Tomato 1 small diced
Onion 1 small diced
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Ginger 1 tsp chopped
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Dhania powder 1 tsp
Ghee 2 tsp
Hing a generous pinch
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi 1 tbsp
Salt and lime juice

Method:
  • Wash the urad dal in plenty of water several times. Combine it with turmeric, water, ginger in a pressure cooker and cook till soft. (That is one whistle in my cooker) Set it aside.
  • Heat the ghee in a pan. Throw in the Jeera, hing.
  • Once the spluttering stops, add the onion. Fry till golden. Throw in the chilly powder, dhania powder. Stir briskly for a couple of minutes and add the diced tomatoes.
  • Scrap the bottom of the pan and crush the tomatoes as you cook.
  • Once the tomatoes are mushy, remove from fire and mix it with the cooked dal.
  • Reheat the dal and finish with some kasoori methi. Serve with rice or roti. We had it with Brinjal potato curry on the side


This goes out to MLLA 13 started by Susan

14 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

We too make urad dal but bit different....adding of tomato sounds yum and new.....

Ann said...

Urad dal recipe sounds new and yumm to me, will make this soon :)

Unknown said...

nice entry.. healthy dhal..

Lakshmi said...

uddinabele dal?? looks good in the pic Smitha.

Suparna said...

hi smitha,
I've never made dal solely with uddinabele!! seems quite interesting...I love thick and creamy dal, this looks simple yet flavourful.Thanks for the recipe

chef and her kitchen said...

looks good..That mirch looks heally big...hmm
visit my blog when u get time..

Hari Chandana P said...

sounds too good.. looks yumm and delicious.. lovely presentation.. :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Kitchen flavours, would love to check on your version :)

@Thanks Ann, hope you like it

@Srikarskitchen, thanks

@LG!!! Howdu Uddinabele.. surprise alwa, nangu ade thara ayitu when I first heard about it

@Suparna, thanks a lot.Yeah we dont think of Uddinadele as a 'dal' kind of legume.. thats the whole point.

@Pratibha, thanks a lot

@Hari chandana, thanks a tonne :)

Hb said...

Even I didn't know urad dal this way. Looks delish!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I too never use urad dal to make a main dish .. I need to try this too

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ my exp.... Thanks

@Deesha, hope you like it just as much as we did

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Hope first time to ur blog... looks so different and nice kannad cuisines.. yummy platter and really it made me hungry .. will visit regularly.. do visit mine when u find time ..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Pavithra, you r welcome again

Sunshinemom said...

I am curious about this! I have never heard of urad dal used this way. I do use whole urad and that is good so I am sure this has got to taste good!
Thanks for sending it to MLLA 13:)