Bajra Poori

During the course of my research I found that though Bajra (Sajje in kannada) had been rated an inferior grain, it was one of the most nutritious cereals. High in protien as well as micro nutrients. Impressed by its nutritional values, i got a pack of bajra flour. I remember my maternal aunty narrating us (me and my kid sister back then) about the food habits of my forefathers my great grand father and his family to be precise who has been dead for almost thirty years now. Accordingly they used to consume a lot of Bajra and ragi apart from rice. Wheat was then not very popular with those people. Also she used to tell us that Bajra was easy to digest etc which I now doubt. However, no doubts on the nutritional value or the taste of bajra. It is yummy. I had prepared some aloo palak along with Bajra Pooris.

We will need,


Bajra flour 1 cup
Wheat flour 1 tablespoon
Salt
Peanut Oil to deep fry

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients, and knead it into a smooth dough using water as required. Pinch small balls from the dough. Roll it out into about 4 " round. 
  • Heat oil in a kadai. Slide the rolled out dough gently into the hot oil and cook for a few minutes on each side, much like pooris. Serve hot with Aloo Palak.

1 comment:

Uma said...

Bajra bhakri or roti is famous in Western parts of Maharashtra. It is made in the same was as rice or jowar rotis are made. And they taste yummy with milk and jaggery :-)