Masoor Dal -Lazy Lunch Thali I

Yesterday was a lazy day. We did not have any guests, nor did we have any other engagements (which is rather unusual). Therefore i was feeling very lazy. I woke up and just went through my beloved week end news paper and began to think of food. I fixed up some pongal for our breakfast which left me half hungry and half craving for something simple but very good. But my laziness was not letting me do much.So I aimed at something 'Rachel Ray' style. So this is what we ended up having for lunch and the left overs of dinner! We both just loved it. It took me a little over one hour to fix this lunch and there was no extra clean up. Just right for a week end lazy lunch.

Photobucket

We will need,

Masoor dal-split 1/2 cup
Green Chillies 6 and above
Garlic 2 cloves
Fresh Coriander(Cilantro)
Salt
Ghee 1 table spoon
Mustard 1 big pinch
Hing 1 big pinch
Curry leaves 10-15
Turmeric a pinch
Lime juice

Method

  • Combine the dal, turmeric and a little ghee(oil) in a cooker along with the chillies and garlic. Cook till done (my cooker does it in single whistle).
  • Prepare the tempering. Heat the ghee. Drop the mustard, hing and curry leaves. Turn off the heat.
  • When the cooker is cool enough to handle, open the lid and pour the tempering mixture into the dal. Bring it to a quick boil. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with steaming rice.
We enjoyed it with Tondekayi palya, Kosambari salad, Rasam and fresh whole milk yogurt!

No comments: