Eeerulli Bonda (onion fritters)

This is a deep fried savory fritter made of chickpea flour and onions. I should actually confess that i often get confused between bonda, bajji and pakoda! I don't know the difference between all these. Actually i end up using these as synonyms for all savory deep fried goodies!!!So this might be bajji/bonda or pakoda. I do not know...
This again brings me back fond memories... One of my favorite street foods, i have had the previlage to eat it in expensive hotels and on the dirtiest of road side carts! I should say i am more fond of the street variety than that served in hotels.There are certain things that the pricey hotels can never replicate...for example Pani puri, Masale puri, Churmuri, Assorted bonda, bajjis, Desi-Ghee Jalebi, samosa in the North.
In fact it reminds me of one particular incident that happened in 1993. My eldest cousin is almost 10-12 years older to me. So when she finished her engineering and got her first job, I was still in primary school. She decided to take us all kiddies for a treat on the occasion. It was me, my younger cousin and my younger sister, four of us, the ninjas went to this hotel called Woodlands in Tumkur, right opposite S.I.T engineering college on B.H.Road. We were all so excited, it was probably the first time just us, the cousins went our to a hotel without any adult company (of course my oldest cousin was with us, but then she was just out of college and was considered a big kid not more). So we placed the order. Eerulli bajji two plates and something else as well but i do not remember. But the Eerulli bajji is unforgettable. It has been till date the worst possible eerulli bajji that i have ever had. It was floury, the onions about an inch thick and raw. In fact after my tryst with eerulli bajji there i had not ever dared to try it again for a long long time. It is only in 2000, in Bombay that i resumed my relationship with the eerulli bajji!!

Onion 1 large diced
Chickpea flour/ Besan/Kadale hittu 2 tbsp
Dill chopped 1tbsp
Baking soda 1 pinch
Baking powder 1 pinch
Chilly powder 1/2 tsp
Salt
Oil for deep frying

Method:
Sift the chickpea flour with baking powder, soda,salt and chilly powder. Mix in the remaining ingredients with a little water to make a batter that is thick but still has a dropping consistency.

Heat oil in a wok. test drop a small dollop of the batter if check if the oil is hot enough. If the batter is not sinking, the oil is ready. Drop spoon full of batter. Turn it once the fritters are golden brown. Remove and serve hot with tomato ketchup/ chutney.

1 comment:

chowringheevijaynagar said...

Fantastic and very interesting tasty..Loving it.
Restaurant in Vijay Nagar