Mosar avallaki/ Poha in Spiced Yogurt

Mosaravallakki... that is curds and poha, is a very common dish in temples. I remember the best version i ever had at the Katil Durga parameshvari temple. On ekadashi this happens to be one of the most favorite offerings made to god. It is very easy and quick. Makes an excellent break fast or.
This evening i was talking to my friend, she had had this dish for breakfast this morning. So i had to eat it! So i made it. We were also remembering a lesson we had in our college on this dish written by Sunanda Belgaonkar. The essay was simple and rather sentimental, with the author remembering her late father and father-in-law and their love for this particular dish. It is not true, when we loose our loved ones, wee remember then more when we make or eat something that they were very fond of?? Food forms one of the strongest bonds, one reason probably why my father always insists on having our meals together.. though my better half has other ideas! For me, eating alone is a very lonely experience. Though in recent days i am sort of used to it. I never ate alone, even during my hostel days!! after all there was always some friend at the dining table!! It was great! I do miss eating with loved ones!! What can be a better way to say we care than sharing food?

Here is mosaravalakki.

Thin Poha/ thin Beaten rice/ Avalakki 1 cup
Oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seed 1/4 tsp
Hing 1 pinch
Channa dal 1 tbsp
Urad Dal 1 tbsp
Curry leaves
Chilly powder
turmeric powder 1 pinch
Salt
thick tangy curds 1/2 cup and above

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard, hing, curry leaves. Once the spluttering stops, add the channa dal and urad dal. Keep stirring till it is all golden. Add the beaten rice, chilly powder, salt and turmeric and mix gently. reduce the heat and toss till the beaten rice is almost translucent and crisp. about 5 minutes.
Serve warm with a dollop of thick curds.

2 comments:

EC said...

oh, i didnt know of this one...watch out, this is so tempting that it will soon be on my blog too :-)

chowringheelaxminagar said...


I visit your post. And I like it. plz keep continue.Thanks!!
Chowringhee Laxmi Nagar Menu