Herekai/ Ridge Gourd Chutney

Herekai or ridged gourd is one my favorite vegetables. Though not as versatile as say the ash gourd, it is definitely something to have regularly on my shopping list. It is a vegetable which is quite popular back home. In fact i remember it growing in many a backyards just like that. So for a quick fix meal, just hop to the back yard, pluck a plumy gourd and bingo! dish out something truly comforting. It is generally considered 'sheeta' or 'cold' food therefore out of bounds for me. ( postpartum/ Bananti) Rest of my folks nevertheless enjoyed it immensely.



We will need,

Herekai/Ridged gourd 1 lb
Green Chilies 2 -4( adjust according to taste)
Dry chillies 2 (adjust according to taste)
Tamarind extract 1 tsp
Jaggery 2 tsp (crushed)
Oil 2 tbsp
Curry leaves a handful
Hing a dash
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Coriander fresh a handful
Salt

Method:
  • Clean the ridged gourd. Give it a rough chop and set it aside.
  • Heat oil in a wok. Throw in the mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Once they stop crackling throw in the chilles. Cook for a brief minute.
  • Throw in the ridged gourd and cook covered till the vegetable is tender. Set it aside to cool.
  • Once it is cool, combine it with the rest of the ingredients in a blender and pulse till the mixture is smooth.
  • Serve hot with a dollop of ghee and rice or Mudde.

8 comments:

Champa said...

First time here. It is so funny I posted heerekayi sippe chutney on my blog today and you have made chutney with the whole kayi.

Tina said...

Colourful and tempting chutney...

Lakshmi said...

I have made this once and I know it tastes yumm...Good One :)

Padhu Sankar said...

I prepare this without jaggery .Dish looks lovely.
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

Pavithra Kodical said...

My mom makes Herekai chutney. Hot rice and herekai chutney yum :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

my mom makes this too & I absolutely love it

Unknown said...

Nimdu you tube channel iddi ya?

Kannada Cuisine said...

Illa Youtube channel illa. Not confident enough to face the camera, besides my thing is writing.