Jeerige/Cumin Chutney

Child birth in India is probably a celebrated affair like nowhere else in the world. So many rituals, so many festivities and such joy no wonder we are the second most populous nation on this planet!!
It is also a critical period for the newborn as well as the new mother. A grueling experience for the mother, she needs to be taken care of the first few postpartum months. Back home, pregnant women go back to their maternal homes for the delivery and stay there for months where she is fed with special meals, giving elaborate oil baths and plenty of rest. It is a time of life except for the dietary restrictions.
I find the dietary restrictions rather strange. In my family, permitted foods include vegetables like carrot, beans, beetroot, Methi, dill, and rice & toor dal. No ragi, no wheat no other cereals. In my friend's family permitted foods include tomatoes, brinjal, bread, chapati and Moong Dal. In my co-sister's family it is brinjal, Cluster beans, Ridged gourd, Ivy gourd. No beans, no carrots. So postpartum or 'Banati' foods typically vary substantially. Universally accepted postpartum foods include garlic and Ghee.
My mother also tells me that folks back home have so much more to follow like having to wear warm clothing, consuming betel leaves after meals etc. All these are followed for anywhere between three to nine months postpartum. I wonder what my grandmother has to say to women here in the USA going back to work two weeks after childbirth!!!

I will be posting for a series of recipes that are specially served to new mothers in my family. I am sure there are new mothers out there who will find these recipes useful. Of course other folks can try these as well, for it is definitely worth the effort.



We will need,

Kopra/ Kobbari/ (dry coconut) 1/2 cup grated
Tili Saaru Powder 1 tsp
Garlic 4 large cloves
Jeera 1.5 tsp
Mustard 1/4 tsp
Tamarind 1/2 tsp extract
Jaggery 1/2 tsp crushed
Ghee 1 tbsp
Curry leaves 6-7
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Roast kopra and Jeera separately till fragrant.
  • Combine kopra, Jeera, Jaggery, tili saaru powder, tamarind and 1/2 a cup of water in a blender. Pulse till almost smooth.
  • Add the garlic to the same blender and pulse till smooth.
  • In a wok heat the ghee, drop the mustard seeds. Once it stops spluttering, add the the ground mixture and bring it to boil.
  • Simmer for a 15 minutes and turn off the heat. Serve hot with rice and ghee. To make a fab meal serve it with Rasam, Rice, pickles and Papads.

10 comments:

Tina said...

Wow sooooo tempting and eye catching chutneyyyy.

Operation Crazyhouse said...

Hey! when do you add jeera? Did you miss that out? Or did I miss spotting it in the recipe you posted?

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Manasa! Thanks for spotting that out, missed it during editing :(

Lakshmi said...

tempting chutney..i will need this in another 8 months ;)

Recipeswap said...

Good post Smita,its so true that in India its pretty strict and for a long time too.
I remember that as soon as I delivered my daughter,I ate a turkey sandwich and drank a cold coke and watching that my mom was making a big fuss :)
This chutney is wonderful any time!

Unknown said...

Smitha,

This chutney looks colourful. Can you plz tell me when to add saaru powder?

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here...
Chutney sounds new to me!!!
Will give a try soon....

check my space when u find time


with luv,
ArunaManikandan
http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Ashwini!! Thanks for pointing that out.. missing it during editing..very stupid of me though.

sans said...

Hi dear

I have enjoyed going thru ur blog!!!! Man it reminds me my childhood days in bangalore. Ur cuisines are really mouthwatering...just the look:) Keep up the good work. All the best!!!!!

Sangs

raj said...

Smita

great ork, i enjoyed reading all & trying some of the receipes

Could you please please include more recipes meant during 'Banathana' it would help so many people like me in far away places from their hometown & cannot have anyone to come for their bananthana.
Bunch of Thanks
Shoba