Gobi Paratha

I love gobi Parathas and paneer parathas. I am reserving panner parathas for some other time.It is absolutely out of bounds for me right now.I made some for mom one of the week nights when she abstains from rice. It is simpler to use frozen cauliflower but fresh ones taste much better. I had the best gobi paratha of my life in Parathewali gali in Chandni Chowk, New Delhi. Back in those days it never quite mattered to how dirty the eatery looked as long as they served great tasting food. Now a days I might not be so comfortable eating there, right next to drains. But the parathas were simply heavenly. I also had some panner parathas the same day. Boy o Boy I never got to eat such heavenly tasting parathas ever. Well it was called the Mecca of Parathas for a reason.

Gobi Paratha

We will need,

Cauliflower frozen 1/2 lb
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Dhania powder 1 tsp
Amchoor powder ½ tsp or lemon juice
Coriander fresh chopped 2 tbsp
Salt
Garam masala a generous pinch
Whole wheat flour
Water
Oil
Salt

Method
  • Mix whole wheat flour with water and a pinch of salt to form a soft dough. Set it aside.
  • Thaw frozen cauliflower overnight. Sqeeze the thawed cauliflower and drain very well.Mix in the chilly powder, Dhania powder, Amchoor powder, Garam Masala and coriander.
  • Preheat a skillet.
  • To make the parathas, pinch lemon sized dough and rolls it out slightly. Place the lime sized cauliflower mixture in the center of the rolled out dough. Bring together the edges of the rolled out dough.
  • Roll out the stuffed dough into 6 inch circles.
  • Transfer the paratha on to the hot skillet.
  • Cook for a few minutes till small bubbles appear on the edges. Flip the paratha. Drizzle oil or ghee generously over the parathas. Flip once more and drizzle oil/ghee once more and cook till the parathas are golden brown.
  • Serve hot with ghee, pickles and thick tangy yogurt.

14 comments:

Lakshmi said...

paratha with butter on it! loved it :)

Tina said...

Yummy parathaaaaa...

Rekha A said...

Tasty Paratha....

Savi-Ruchi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savi-Ruchi said...

i prefer paneer paratha over gobi.., however I will not say "No" to it either ;) Paratha looks yum.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Perfect parathas with butter

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...in love with those parathas...

Ash said...

I'm so happy to see so many Kannada blogs.... next to next.... How was it that I had not even come across this all this while.. Better late than never.... Came here through Paakashale....

Gobi parata is yum, no doubts... more is the word Kannada cuisine... loved it.... And cannot resist joining you... too.... Happy Blogging!!!!

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Sudhir R said...

Parantewali galli ???, you never told me. I was in Delhi a couple of days back, would have surely made a trip had I read a few days back, a trip to karims's is long over due.
Never had Panner parata's though, Post it, I shall ask Sudha to prepare some.
keep it up

Pavithra Kodical said...

Perfect paratha...This is what i make with leftover gobi.. Tastes great with pickle.

Recipeswap said...

wow super tempting.

Unknown said...

Bumped in here for the first time,liked it a lot,I must say u have an amazing space here..

Parathas looks heavenly delicious,super tempting..

Keep rocking...

FH said...

Oh, how did I miss this post! I love Gobi parathas, looks delicious. Butter makes everything better! :))

Siri said...

my friend is from delhi and she talks about Parthawali gali all-the-time. Love those parathas - both gobi and paneer.

Siri