Pineapple Gojju/ Pineapple Chutney

Though not a native fruit, Pineapple has somehow integrated into Kannada culinary fabric very well. So much so that it is an integral part of a Kannadiga wedding. One of the most popular way to use pineapple is to convert it into Gojju. Gojju is a thick accompaniment to rice that generically falls somewhere between curry and chutney. I would not serve it as a main course or a stand alone curry, instead use it to make a dowdy meal interesting.

Photobucket

We will need,

Pineapple (fresh) 1 c chopped
Red chillies 2-3
Jaggery 1 tbsp crushed
Oil 3 tbsp
Bisibele bath powder 2 tsp
Copra 3 tbsp roasted and powdered
Curry leaves 8-10
Hing a dash
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Salt

Method
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed pot. Throw in the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and red chillies.
  • Once the spluttering stops drop the chopped pineapple. Sprinkle some salt cover and cook till the pineapple is tender. Alternately if you like your pineapple softer than al-dente you can cook the pineapple separately and add cooked pineapple once the mustard et al stops spluttering.
  • Mix in the remaining ingredients and a few tbsps of water, cover and cook till it attains a chutney like consistency.
  • Enjoy it while it is hot.
I used a home made blend for Bisibele bath powder, MTR should work fine though. Also canned pineapple can be used. Since canned version is softer than fresh pineapples, reduce the cooking time and avoid adding too much of water.

12 comments:

FH said...

Happy 2010, Smitha. Yes, it is okay now at my end, getting better. Wish you the best too. Pineapple gojju! Slurp! :)

Recipeswap said...

Happy New Year!gojju looks awesome,I am yet to make ur jeerige chutney too

Pavithra Kodical said...

Happy New year Smitha. Pineapple gojju looks delicious.

Lakshmi said...

I have read this in several blogs but never took the courage to cook it. I have to give it a try now.

Tina said...

Delicious and yummyyy gojju....

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love pineapple gojju .. but didn't knw tht yucan make it with BBB powder also

Malar Gandhi said...

Wish you happy new year.

Gojju looks incredily beautiful...yummo:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Smitha,
Happy New Year! I came across your website while searching for Karnataka recipes. All of them look delicious. I think i'll be visiting your blog everyday now!

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Thanks Asha, Neema,Pavithra,Tina, malar, amixedbag...

@LG, Well please do not try it now.. may be later

@Deesha,
Well it is my version with a short cut. It does taste the same and in fact is made of same ingredients.I guess it is my family version of BBB. I will have to upload it as well.

@

Savi-Ruchi said...

I too make pineapple gojju, however adding bbb powder is very new to me. I always prepare the spice powder myself to prepare this gojju, will try adding BBB powder sometime.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Sush..Well I should say this is the short version of the recipe. Using BBB saves my day now that I hardly find time to do my old fashioned from-the-scratch cooking :)

Lala said...

I tried this! Brilliantly it came out.. using bisibelebath poweder is such a boon and task-made-easy. tasted exactly like how it does at weddings! :) thank you!