Jam Cookies

Yay yay yay....it is that time of the year again, when I do not feel guilty eating goodies. Before the resolution comes into effect I go into binge-eating. It is a different issue that my resolutions weaken by the third week of January and fail by the end of February.
At this time of the year it is all about baking. The nip in the air always turn my oven on!!  There is something about fall that makes the aroma of fresh baked cookies, cakes and bread beyond irresistible.
Here is a batch of jam cookies. I tweaked my mother's basic biscuit recipe a bit to end up with these. The actual recipe calls for Dalda or Shortening. I am against shortening and the likes. I like to keep food as natural as possible without becoming fanatically against dairy...nuts...wheat and you name it.. (I can never imagine a 'Vegan me'....cannot live without Yogurt and Ghee and of course Panner, everything else can go to heaven)

This basic biscuit recipe is very versatile. Just use the choice of custard powder, essence and food colour (again not my choice) to end up with your favorite flavor. One look at the Bakery shelves back home, we will stumble upon green-pista cookies, pink-strawberry cookies, pale yellow vanilla cookies etc. These are just so versatile.. I did not have strawberry custard and I am against synthetic food colors so I jazzed these cookies with some home made Strawberry preserve (made from pick-your-own Strawberries this summer). These  came out perfect.




We will need,

Butter  125 gms  (room temperature)
Sugar 125 gms
Milk     60 ml
Vanilla  1/2tsp
Flour   185 gms
Baking Powder  2 tsp
Custard Powder   50 gm
Salt a pinch
Strawberry preserve   about 1 tbsp or there about (instead use a preserve of your choice)

Method:
  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
  • Cream butter till soft. Add the sugar and cream till the sugar is completely dissolved.
  • Pour in the milk and the vanilla essence/ extract and mix thoroughly.
  • Sift the flour with Custard powder and Baking powder a few times to combine it well.  Stir in the salt. 
  • Now gently mix in the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix it till just combined. Over mixed dough yields tough biscuits. So be gentle with the dough.
  • Pinch small balls the size of limes. Roll it between your palm. Press it slightly with your thumb to make an indentation. Repeat with the rest of the dough. 
  • Using a teaspoon drop the preserve into the indentation.
  • Pop it into oven for about 15-20 minute, till they are golden.
  • Cool it on wire racks and store it in air tight boxes. They last for at least a week.

5 comments:

Veena Jhanak said...

Cookies look delicious. I crave for all the bakery products from Bangalore. I like the versatility of this cookie.

Pushpa said...

Looks delicious...

Ms.Chitchat said...

Lovely looking cookies and liked the addition of jam.

AJ said...

They look amazing!!

Sudhir R said...

Good Shot !! looks yummy, reminds me of my childhood, always loved these