Talipattu

 Talipattu is a very filling breakfast. I remember asking mom to make this for me on days when I did foresee no time to break for lunch. These Talippattu kept me full and used to see me through the day! It is hardy and very nutritious.
By the way my old faithful camera died. ...and this picture was shot on my handycam and I am not too happy with the results. But till the new camera is here this is what I can offer :(


Water  1.5 Cups
Whole grain flours 1 Cup (Think a mixture of Ragi, Rice, Bajra, Millet)
Whole Wheat flour  1/2 Cup
Oil
Spinach/ Dill/ Fenegreek/Coriander 1/2 C
Onion                                        1 medium
Green Chillies                     4-5
Cumin                               1 tsp
Salt to taste
Method:
  • Heat water in a thick bottomed pot. Throw in the salt. 
  • Mince onions, greens and green chillies. Set it aside
  • Once the water comes to a boil, add the whole grain flours. mix and cook covered for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Once the mixture is cool enough to handle, stir in the minced onions, greens, green chillies, cumin, whole wheat flour and kneed into a soft dough. Rest the dough for a 10-15 minutes.
  • Preheat a skillet.
  • Pinch lemon sized balls out of dough and roll it between your palms. Place it on a piece of parchment paper or a greased plastic sheet and flatten it with the palm of your hand. Using your finger tips, roll the dough out into flat circular discs the thickness of say rotis. 
  • Transfer the discs to the skillet. brush it with some oil on top. Cook till the Talippatu changes colour and flip. Cook on the other side till golden brown specks appear.
  • Serve it hot brushed with some ghee. Yogurt and pickles goes very well with these Talipattu.
Tips: I generally use a mixture of Bajra /Sajje, Millet/ Navane, Ragi, Rice flours for the whole grain part. The original Talippattu calls for just these and contains no wheat flour. But without the gluten in the wheat it is rather difficult to roll out the Talippattu. If you prefer gluten free Talippattu just substitute the wheat flour for a flour of choice.
Also mincing the onions, greens and chillies is important. The finer they are the thinner the Talipattu will be. I process mine for a few seconds in the food processor. It gives excellent results.

10 comments:

Harini said...

combining the flours is a gr8 idea ..I usually make them with individual flours!

Pushpa said...

Nutritious and yummy breakfast.

Gayu said...

Love the Talipattu..Very nutritious!!

Gayu
http://ensamayalarangam.blogspot.com

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looks yumm yumm :)

Lakshmi said...

Yummy looking rotti kanri. I am huge fan of rotti, so will surely try it.

Nisha said...

bookmarking this one

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice recipe.. looks absolutely delicious !!

Indian Cuisine

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Nice use of healthy attas. Happy New Year.

Chitra said...

New to me. bookmarked !!

Sudhir R said...

Know not, I have to ask sudha to make this for me