Sabakki Uppittu

Uppittu...the word conjures up some really strong reactions. Lot of people I know either love or hate Uppittu. I myself can eat a bowl full of Avarekalu Uppittu with the greatest of delights, while abhorring the thought of eating the caked up rawa version, the version served on the great Indian railways as well as in most of north India as 'Upma', come on my cow would not eat it, if I had one, much less my Sunny boy. Amongst the Uppittus I love are the Avarekalu uppittu as mentioned earlier, Shavige uppittu and Sabbakki Uppittu. The last one has always been challenging, either it would not cook through or it would get all mushed up. It was not until recently that I feel comfortable making it and we are loving the results! I am almost making it once every week. The trick is in soaking the Sabakki for about 2 hours in warm water.This is the only way it would work for me. I hate the idea of remembering to soak it the first thing in the morning,given my poor memory these days, but the short cooking time makes up for the long soaking time. It hardly takes any time to cook at all. And it really fills me up. One bowl and I can  actually skip lunch!!!

We will need,

Sabakki 1 cup
Peanuts  1/4 cup
Peanut Oil  1 tbsp (divided)
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Hing a dash
Turmeric a generous pinch

Green Chillies 3-4 (or more )
Curry leaves
Onion 1 medium
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Cilatro 1/4 c chopped

Method:
  • Wash the Sabakki in multiple changes of water and drain well. Soak the drained Sabakki in warm water for at least two hours. The Sabakki is ready when the center is not hard and the Sabakki is completely squishy. Once ready transfer it a colander and washing it under running water to remove all the excess starch. Drain and set it aside.
  • Heat a Kadai on medium flame. Toss the peanuts. Toast till the peanuts are fragrant. Remove from heat and crush it into a coarse meal. Set it aside.
  • Heat about 2 tsp of oil in a Wok. Throw in the mustard and jeera. Once it splutters, throw in the hing,turmeric, green chillies and curry leaves in quick succession. 
  • Once the sizzling stops, add the onions. Cook till the onions turn golden brown.
  • Now toss in the sabakki. Keep stirring the Sabakki to make sure that bottom is not burning.
  • Throw in the toasted peanuts and drizzle the remaining oil.
  • Once the sabbakki turns slightly translucent, adjust the salt and lemon juice and throw in the cilantro. Stir well and serve it hot.

4 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious flavours looks wonderful

Priya Suresh said...

Uppittu looks super delicious and inviting.

Lakshmi said...

All my chinese colleagues are great fans of this. They had never had savory version of sago!! Huli majjige li sabbkki nensi madidre innu chennagiratte!

Ramya said...

Beautiful! Tried it today and loved it! Thanks!