Habanero Chutney

I love-hate Habanero, love it that it starts off fruity, very fragrant and slightly sweet but ends up with frantic call to the fire department. On our last trip to the farm where we pick our vegetables on good summer days, I found some pretty looking Habaneros, some red, some sort of yellow, they were indeed so adorable. I had to pick them. Never thought of what to do them. Once home, I started thinking of making a pickle with the fiery fellows. But my heart fainted when I ended up using just a couple in a curry in place of green chillies I had just run out. Boy! That was something. So instead of making a pickles with more chilli powder and spices, decided to do a chutney instead. So here comes the Habanero chutney, call the fire department.

Well I also did something very stupid.I decided to discard the seeds and ribs of the Habaneros. Despite knowing how nasty this fellow can get, I did it with my bare hands. Needless to say, my palms were burning for a long time. Tried every possible thing in the kitchen and bathroom closets, but the fiery fellow persisted. Some one told me to rub my hands with some alcohol. It seemed to have worked. So beware, never use bare hands to work on these little fire bombs.

Honey dumped a ladleful of this chutney thinking it was Pumpkin Palya! He did think it was not all that wise of him to do that.


We will need,

Habaneros 4-6 chopped (seeds discared)
Pineapple chopped 1 cup
Kopra 1/4 cup
Peanut oil `/4 cup
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Hing a dash
Curry leaves a handful
Jaggery 2 tbsp crushed (a little more or less depending on preference)
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Chop the Habaneors and discard the seeds and the veins. Reserve
  • Toast the Kopra and pound it into a fine powder.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Throw in the mustard, jeera and hing. Once the spluttering stops, throw in the curry leaves. Toss in the chopped chillies, saute for a few minutes.
  • Toss in the pineapple along with their juices. Saute for a few minutes and then throw in the Kopra.
  • Give it a stir. Add salt and jaggery. Add a little water if the mixture is dry. Cook till the pineapples are tender and the dish comes together.
  • Serve as a part of any meal. Goes well with rice, rasam and Mosaranna (curd rice)

 

14 comments:

Akila said...

Looks delicious n spicy

Event: Dish name starts with P

Vidya Chandrahas said...

Very tempting and delicious chutney..so inviting

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

yummy and delicious chutney...

Priya Suresh said...

Looks super tempting, never cooked with habanero chillies till now.

Unknown said...

You made me smile with that 'call to fire dept' comment, I remembered my first time with Habaneros, they are hot even for chili adoring girl like me. Chutney with pineapple sounds delicious.

radha said...

Looks very nice. Pineapple anything will taste good! And this is a combo of sweet,tangy and spicy.

Home Cooked food said...

I love this chili. It is king of chili. Can we make puree?

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Akila, Vidya, Srividya,Shanti thanks much

@Priya!well this is something I will never urge anybody to try..it can really get ugly

@Nagashree ;)

@Radha..thanks

@Kitchen Queen ..well I assume you could but that will definitely make it spicier..

Lakshmi said...

Awwww...astondu khara iratta? Yappa.. Photodalli bhala super kanta ide. Hogli bidi, next time glove hakondu menasinkayi kelsa maadi :)

Deepti said...

The chutney looks great! yes I agree, habanero is definitely HOTT! kannada cuisine hesaru keLi tumba kushi aiythu. Naanu kannadadhavaLe!

Sudhir R said...

Nice photograph! But do we know this down here?

foodgalleri said...

hmm.. delicious & spicy chutney..

You have a great space.. happy to follow you :)
http://indianrecipegalleri.blogspot.in/

Unknown said...

looking delicious& mouth watering.. thanks a lot. for north indian recipes check recipes at foodsnearme.com

Unknown said...

looking delicious& mouth watering.. thanks a lot. for north indian recipes check recipes at foodsnearme.com