Broccoli Soup

We humans might pride ourselves with all our achievements. Yes, we sent one of us on to Moon, may be Mars very soon; we have eradicated small pox, we have defeated tuberculosis & malaria, we have created excellent channels of communication, we can talk to people on the other side of the world seamlessly. But, we are also the most cruel of all the species on this earth. I have never heard of animals killing fellow animals 'just like that', I have not heard of animals indulging in opportunistic sexual violence. God! How can we behave this way? how can we be so anti-social while calling ourselves the most social of all species? There is of course the court of law, but what about our conscience? Do we have nerves at all in our moral spine? This week has been  brutal, first the gunning down of innocent children and then the brutal assault on a young girl in Delhi. Not that either of the two incidents were the first or that they are going to be the last. Gun violence is so common here in the States that it is a part of routine life, it does not shake people or make them stand up and run , unless of course you see the gun being pointed at you.
Similarly sexual violence is very common in India, more so in Delhi. The location of the latest attack, the charter buses, everything is so familiar to me having been in JNU for half a decade. I would never go out of my campus after dark. Delhi never made me feel safe. Never. After all these years and after living in the States for the better part of the decade, I now know the difference. The probability of becoming a victim in Delhi is far higher than any of the other cities in the developed world. India cannot ensure the safety of half its citizens and wants to think of herself as an emerging giant?  what rubbish.

All these episodes and the fact that my own Sunny boy thinks that 'Amma can fix everything for me'  chilled my bones. I needed something to warm up my bones as well as my heart. This Broccoli soup tried to do that. It was hard but an effort in the right direction for I confess I am a die hard foodie.
We will need,

Broccoli (florets and steam and all) 1 lb
Butter 1 tbsp
Potatoes 1 diced
Garlic 1 clove
Onion 1 small diced
Bay leaf 1
Cloves 2
Nutmeg a dash
Milk 2 cups
Black pepper and salt to taste

Method:
  • Trim and wash the broccoli. Discard the tough ends and the fibrous skin on the stem. Dice and set it aside.
  • Heat the butter in a soup pot. Once the butter starts to brown on the edges, throw in the garlic. Saute for a few seconds. 
  • Once the garlic is golden in colour, throw in the onions and saute till they are brown at the edges. 
  • Throw in the potatoes. Saute till they are golden brown in colour. 
  • Throw in the broccoli and saute till the broccoli bits brown a bit and reduce heat.
  • Throw in about a cup and water and cook the vegetables are very tender. 
  • Once the vegetables are fork tender, puree the mixture in a blender and return it the the soup pot. 
  • Stir in the milk, adjust salt and pepper and simmer till nice and thick. Serve it with a choice of bread and some cheese.
P.S: I almost never use stock or broth in my soups. They sort taste way too weird for me.  However, I use fresh garlic, spices like bay leaf, cloves and nutmeg which more than compensates for the stock. Also I find that cornstarch as a thickener sort of turns down the soup a notch. So I prefer to use Potatoes in my soups. Not only they thicken the soup but gives it a lot more body which I love. I also hate stock cubes. They are nothing but beautifully packaged garbage.

11 comments:

Reva said...

Very healthy soup... wonderful..
Reva

Priya Suresh said...

How arrogant na, very much shocked. My prayers to that gal, wishing her more courage to overcome this nasty situation.

Wish i get a bowl of this healthy soup.

Unknown said...

healthy filling soup

Sudhir R said...

And I remember the evening, you had to go alone from Janpath, I was not at all comfortable. So unfortunate the present event is .

Sudhir R said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

a very healthy soup. Sad story cant digest how humans hv become these days.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Sudhir...yeah! One of the very few times I out after sun down...but then it was 615, straight to campus :)

Unknown said...

:-(, felt sick reading about the incident.

Soup looks good Smitha, I am a soup lover, will try this soon especially in this cold weather.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Nagashree.. :)

Vani said...

Yeah, there's something about Delhi and many other cities in N India whose negativity you feel. Like the soul is missing somehow. The shooting of kids was unbelievable. Hope the new year brings more positive energy into this world.
Broccoli soup is just what I need in this cold, wintry weather!

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Soup looks very healthy n comforting for chilly days...