Cashew Burfi

My fondness for sweets is well known. I sometimes doubt if it is the sweets that i like better than the festival itself. And what can be better than nine continuous days of celebrations and of course sweets. This time around I did not make sweets everyday of Navratri, this is the third one and may be there is room for one more.
After two Pedas I was ready for a burfi. Burfis are always difficult, consistency is not right then burfi either gets too crumby or never sets. So after a lot of trial and errors I figured out that cooking the sugar separately is the best way to solve the problem.
The immediate question was what Burfi to make. I was thinking of Almond Burfi but yesterday I scored a good deal on Cashews at the local Indian grocery so decided on Cashew burfi instead. Cashew burfi has a different texture than the more popular Katli. I love them both for now it is just Burfi.

We will need,

Cashews 1 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Saffron a few strands (optional)
Water 1/4 cup

Method
  • Pulse the cashews in the food processor till the nuts are fine.
  • Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Throw the cashew powder. Toast the cashew powder till fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Remove onto a plate.
  • Heat the sugar, saffron and water in the same pan. Cook the sugar till the sugar reaches two thread consistency. (i.e. when the sugar syrup is pulled between two fingers the syrup forms at least two threads.)
  • Stir in the toasted cashews into the sugar and cook on very low flame and keep stirring the mixture.
  • Once the mixture leaves the side of the pan, remove  and pour the mixture into a greased pan. 
  • Score the mixture and when it is slightly cool cut it into pieces. Store in an air tight box.

4 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Happy Vijayadashami. Burfi is awesome.

Unknown said...

Nicely cut burfi,looks good. I usually make the katli, hand rolling the cashew powder as my daughter loves those.

Unknown said...

wow.. 1 st at ur blog, n wow kaju barfi sigthu :)..
u have a new follower,lets stay connected.

Sudhir R said...

Wow! My intake of sweets had increased leaps and bounds, and this sounds so tasty.