Dharwad Peda

Darasa continues. Today is Saraswati Pooja. May the blessings of Mother Saraswati  be with us all the time.
While writing my previous post on Peda, I happened to think of Dharwad Peda. Once the thought of it entered my little brain, I had to make it. So here it is Dharwad Peda. It is quite easy to prepare but it takes about 2-3 hours at the least.A good way to go about it is to turn on a movie on laptop/tablet. Turn on the stove and keep stirring while watching the movie. That is exactly what I did. I watched Fukhrey while making this Peda.
Once the Pedas were done, they needed to be cooled. So I left them on the table and took Sunny boy to a near by temple for Navrati Aarthi. When we came back home, Honey looked quite pleased. He asked me who was back from India? I thought for a while and said no one. Then he asked me who got these Pedas from India.. I take it as a big compliment.

We will need,

Ricotta (old fashioned) 1 pint (Fresh Khoya can be used too)
Ghee 2-3 tbsp
Sugar (fine variety ) 4-5 tbsp (adjust according to taste)
Whole Milk 2-3 tbsp

Method
  • Drain the ricotta into a cheesecloth lined sieve to remove excess liquid.
  • Heat the ghee in a non stick pan. Throw in the ricotta. Cook the ricotta till most of the liquid evaporates. Keep stirring all the time.
  • Once the ricotta becomes dry and sort of comes together into a ball, reduce heat and break the ricotta into smaller pieces. Keep stirring lest the cheese burn.
  • Keep breaking the cheese up and stirring till the cheese resembles grains of sand. Remove from heat.
  • Pour the milk over the cheese, add about 3 tbsp of sugar and stir well. Allow the mixture to cool well.
  • Once the mixture is cool, run the mixture in a food processor till the mixture is very soft and smooth. Add a little more milk if necessary. 
  • Return the mixture to the pan and heat it gently. Taste and adjust sugar. The peda should be nice and sweet but not very sweet. It should still taste like caramely milk.
  • Once the mixture comes together into a ball, remove and shape it into walnut size balls. 
  • Roll the balls in sugar and set it aside to dry. To make it look distinctly asymmetrically flatish Pedas, throw the round pedas into a plate of sugar from a distance. 
I prefer to use ricotta because we get fresh, very good quality ricotta while the khoya we get is the one that has been in the freezer for a while. A good quality Khoya will work just as well.

6 comments:

cookingwithsapana said...

Yummy looking pedas..

Savi-Ruchi said...

wow Smitha, did you make these pedas? they are too tempting. Did you say 2-3 hours in front of the stove? I don't think I might take up the courage to do it :( If you lived near by, I would have come to your place :)

Unknown said...

Wow, Smitha nimge burfi queen award kotbidtini :-), Dharwad peda home made? and they look so authentic.

Vani said...

Looks perfect, Smitha! I'm not a sweets person but Dharwad Pedha I love! Hope you had a good Dasara.

manoj kumar said...

What is ricotta in hindi

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Manoj,

I am not sure what Ricotta is in Hindi. Perhaps there is no exact translation at all..Khoa can be substituted in place of Ricotta.

Thanks,
Kannada Cuisine