Cranberry Jeera Rice

It is not that I love cranberries. It is just that I happened to buy a bag impulsively at Costco and struggled to finish it until I realized that they could be used everywhere we traditionally use raisins. In fact there are dishes especially the savory ones which gets better with cranberry because of the tartness in the background. It worked especially well in Jeera rice. The color of the cranberries also make the dish pop and festive! So here comes Cranberry Jeera Rice.
We will need,

Basmati Rice 1 cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Cardamon 2
Green chillies 3-4 (slit)
Dried Cranberries a generous handful
Salt to taste
Scallions 2-3 chopped

Method:
  • Wash the rice in several changes of water and soak for 15-30 minutes and drain.
  • Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pot or pressure cooker.
  • Throw in the whole spices and the green chillies. Once the spices stop sizzling, throw in the cranberries. Saute for a few seconds and throw in the rice. Stir gently to coat the rice with ghee and is translucent. 
  • Pour in about 1.5 to 2 cups of water (depending on how soft the rice is desired).
  • Adjust salt, cover and cook till the rice is done.
  • Garnish with chopped scallions before serving. Serve it with Sorekayi Kofta Curry .

6 comments:

Vani said...

Ooh, I gotta try using cranberry in rice. I make gojju with it, apart from the usual cranberry sauce

Unknown said...

Colorful rice, nice use of cranberries.

Hari Chandana said...

Lovely and colorful preparation.. looks too good.. thanks for sharing :)

Sudhir R said...

Interesting What do I see in the background? Chicken?

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Sudhir..well it is just a humble Sorekayi kofta curry :)

Diksha said...

Yummy yummy! I love making Karnataka style of cooking and my kids love it too.. it is usually quite simple and tasty just like your recipe.. I never thought we could use cranberries for Indian style of cooking.. I love KDD Harvest’s cranberry juice and I often buy and store it in my fridge… but these fruits for cooking is not something I have ever thought of.. is this dish gona taste sweet?