Khara Sev /Shevu and Deepawali Thindi

Every Deepawali I make loads of goodies to be shared with loved ones and friends. This time on the menu were the usual suspects Kajjaya, Godi Laddu , Seven cups and savory debutantes- Chakkli and Khara Shevu.  Typically either my mother or my MIL would send me Chakkli flour and I did make Chakkli. This time around no one came from India this past year nor did we visit home. So I had to make it myself. Mom suggested me an easy method. I followed it and viola, I had prepared some rustic looking super crunchy Chakklis. Yum.

For now it is Khara Shevu. I do not know why it should be called Shevu, when Sev sounds better. But it is one of those unexplained phenomenons where it might sound weird but tastes fabulous. The best part  of this snack is that even though it looks very complicated, it is rather easy to prepare and also it does not absorb a lot of oil while frying. I love the effect it has on my Deepawali platter.

We will need,

Kadale Hittu / Besan 1 measure
Rice flour 1/4 measure
Ajwain or Jeera (1/2 tsp per cup of Besan)
Salt and chilli powder to taste
Hing a dash
Oil to deep fry

Method:
  • Heat the oil in a wok. 
  • Stir in all the ingredients in a wide mouthed steel/glass bowl. Make a well in the center.
  • Once the oil is hot, ladle about 1/4 cup of hot oil into the well in the flour. 
  • Stir the flour carefully to incorporate the hot oil into the flour. 
  • Pour in water a few tablespoons at a time to make a firm dough.
  • Oil the Khara shevu mould. Break orange sized balls of dough and stuff it into the mould. Press the mould to squeeze the khara shevu into desired shape.
  • Gently lower the Khara shevu into hot oil and deep fry till golden brown in color. Remove and drain it over layers of paper towel. 
  • Store it in air tight containers for up to two weeks. I am sure it would not last that long though.

6 comments:

Akila said...

Lovely recipe

Hari Chandana said...

WOwww.. inviting platter.. great job :)

Unknown said...

Nima Deepavali spread chennagide. Khama sev is yummy :)

Kumudha said...

Deepavali Thindi looks so YUM!

I love khara sev, but never tried to make it...

Anonymous said...

Good one .. I tried , it came out well

شقق مفروشة said...

great
i love your blog a lot.