Malai Mushroom

I was once in love with Mushrooms, back then it was a rarity, something the local HOPCOMS sold seasonally in smalls packets that were rather expensive. But then as time went by, mushrooms became more like green beans and carrots, something we could always pick up. Now  I do not like them as much. I eat them but not with as much relish as before. I think it is yet another case of familiarity breeds contempt!

Mushrooms are like blank canvas, except for texture they are not much when it comes to flavor. So the good part it, it fits into most gravies and masalas that  I make.  Malai style gravy is one of my favorite. It is light, rich and makes any dinner very special. Needless to say I make Malai gravies only if we are having guests. Last week it so happened that we  expecting a friend to join us for dinner and on friday's she does not eat any thing sour. I was at  a loss to feed her. I could not think of many recipes that did not either include tamarind or tomato. Then finally it occured to me that Malai fits the bill. It is one of the rare recipes in my repetoire that does not call for any sour ingredients. But there was yet another catch. I typically make Malai gravy with Panner  but Panner again was fermented therefore my friend would not eat it. So I decided to substitute mushrooms for Panner. The only mistake was I used brown baby bella Mushrooms rather than white button mushrooms. So the gravy turned out to be light brown in colour, though I prefer my Malai gravy to be white, at the most off-white,...taste wise i do not think it matter much.

We will need,

Mushrooms 10 oz (1 pack ) cleaned and chopped into quaters
Methi leaves  1 small bunch (pick and  wash leaves and discard the stalks)
Butter 1 tbsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Garlic 2 cloves (grated)
White pepper 1/2 tsp
Green chillies 2-3 (adjust according to taste)
Garam masala 1/4 tsp
Cream 3/4 cup
Salt as per taste

Method:
  • Heat the butter in a thick bottomed skillet. Throw in the Jeera and garlic. 
  • Once the garlic is fragrant throw in the Methi. Saute till the Methi wilts down. 
  • Make some space in the middle of the skillet and throw in the green chillies and Garam Masala.  Saute till fragrant.
  • Now increase the heat and throw in the mushroom. Saute for a few seconds and once the Mushrooms starts to soften, reduce heat and pour the cream. 
  • Bring it to a gentle simmer. Adjust salt and  white pepper and remove from heat.
  • Serve warm with  Roti or a bread of choice.

5 comments:

Manju Modiyani said...

Malai and mushroom is an innovative combo. Looks delicious to me! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Very rich looking mushroom, highly inviting.

Unknown said...

I have somehow stayed away from mushrooms, have to try.. Dish looks perfect for rotis.

Sudhir R said...

Must taste good! Sudha has started using mushrooms lately, as you rightly said its available in abundant.

radha said...

I agree about the mushrooms bit. I don't mind it but the spouse absolutely hates it. And the younger one loves it. So I make it when she is visiting. This I will try when she is around. The gravy looks really good.