Nimbe Uppinakayi lemon pickles

I ran out of homemade pickles a few weeks  back. Sunny boy being so particular about pickles, I had to make a fresh batch. While shopping at Target stores, I found this Anchor Hocking Half Gallon cookie jar. I fell in love with it. It is so much like our own "Uppinakayi Jaadi" the pale while and yellow-brown ceramic jars, some long ,some stout each one for a different pickle in my Ammaji's (maternal grandmom) kitchen. I am sure she is proud of me for all the  homemade pickles!
I have just one jar unlike Ammaji, but that is sufficient for my family. Ammaji makes Uppinakayi for the entire clan, therefore she needs multiple jars. After years of making Uppinakayi in assorted jars and bottles, I have come to the conclusion that jars with tight fitting lids end up making sticking and slightly off smelling pickles. But jars with loose fitting lids like a cookie jar makes good uppiakayi. Once done, however, they do stay good  in regular glass jars in the refrigerator. It is just initial 3-4 weeks that are critical in  the life cycle of the Uppinakayi.

So here is my newest batch of Lemon Pickles...I had filled it to the brim and look how much it has shrunk!

Recipe can be found here. This time around it is just a 8-9 organic lemons and skipped the bitter gourd the other ingredients are roughly the same. Cannot wait to try them..On the pickle factory list for summer are Mangoes, chillies and bitter gourd and Nallikayi, then I am  set for the year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

the jaadi is super cute Smitha, I will put it on my list for next time :-)

Paro said...

Yumm! Bayalli neeru :).

Unknown said...

Kannadigarige ee blog hesru nodidrene khushi aagatte... Antadralli neevu nimbe uppinakaayi bere haakidiri!! aaha adra ruchi andre ruchi..ee uppinakaayi ge namma kannadigaradde vondu online supermarket ide http://qusec.in/ anta, allinda nimbe togoli, tumba chanag iratte. Naanu yaavaaglu uppinkaayi ge allindane togolodu.
Inta recipe haakidke dhanyavaada...

Hari Chandana said...

Tangy pickle!