Moolangi/ Radish Chutney

I was not familiar with the pink radishes when i was in India.. Never can remember ever finding them even in Nilgiris, Brigade road..But they are so cute and pretty i wanted to try then. So i adapted it to an age old recipe from Karnataka .. that my mom, my grand mother all have made so many times. Besides this is a dish that does not need a lot of cooking. So it is best for hot sunny days when standing in front of the stove is not actually a good idea.






Radish- pink 1 pack
Coconut grated 2 tbsp (up to 4 tbsp can be added)
Green chillies 4 and above
Tamarind 1 tsp
Salt
Jaggery (size of half a lime)
mustard 1/4 tsp
oil 2 tsp
Hing one big pinch
Fresh Coriander
Jeera 1/2 tsp

Method:
  • Remove the top and bottom of the radish and chop them into quarters. Keep it aside. 
  • Slit the green chillies.
  • Heat oil in a pan. Drop the mustard, jeera Hing and green chillies. Toss it around for about a minute. Add the radishes. Toss for a 8-10 minutes. Remover from heat and cool.
  • When cool, combine it with the other ingredients in a blender and puree it to combine everything into a coarse paste.Serve with hot rice.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yummmmm,,,, thank u very much .. will surely try this one

EC said...

chutney with raddish..sounds good

Geeta Kakade said...

Hi:

This sounds interesting. Your mention of Nilgiris made me homesick for Bangalore.
Like you I too grew up in the North and Maharashtra,an Army brat.
My parents finally settled near Bangalore by the time I left.
Do visit my blog if you can spare a minute and leave a comment.
Thanks
Geeta

Geeta Kakade said...

Forgot to leave my blog address:
http://paytpooja.blogspot.com
Geeta

ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...

ಬಿಸಿ ಮುದ್ದೇ ಅಥವಾ ಬಿಸಿ ಅನ್ನದ ಜೊತೆಗೆ ಮೂಲಂಗಿ ಚಟ್ನೀ ಒಳ್ಳೇ ಕಾಂಬಿನೇಶನ್...