Dahi wali Saag Panner/ Spinach & Cottage Cheese in Yogurt Sauce

Summers on the east coast is lovely. The trees are lush green, the lawns emerald and flowerbeds colorful. The air is filled with the smell of grass and the chirping of the sparrows, blue bird, robin, black birds and numerous other birds.. So much to look around and so little time. This summer has been pretty mild, yet I have been preferring lighter, cooler foods than our normal fare. Tambli has become a favorite, I am making it often. Along with it, I have been experimenting with other yogurt based dishes that are lighter and cooler as well. This is what I ended up the other day. Me and Honey both loved it. What was meant for two meals, disappeared right at lunch :) So I guess it was good.

Dahiwali Saag

Here is what we need,

Spinach 1/2 lb washed and chopped
Onion 1 medium diced
Tomato 1 medium diced
Ginger 1/2 tsp scant grated
Garlic 1/2 tsp scant granted
Chilli powder 1 tsp (adjust according to taste, Mine is not too hot this time around)
Garam Masala 1/4 tsp (more if it is ready made)
Panner 1/2 lb cubed and fried
Yogurt 1 cup (Use non-fat, low fat, anything of your choice)
Oil 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a Kadai. Throw in the cumin seeds.
  2. Once the cumin stops spluttering, throw in the onions. Cook till translucent.
  3. Throw in the ginger and garlic puree. Toss the vegetables a few times till the raw garlic smell disappears.
  4. Throw in the chilli powder and the diced tomatoes . Cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
  5. Add the Spinach. Cook uncovered for all the liquid to evaporate.
  6. Now toss in the Panner. Mix gently, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes till the Panner is spongy and flavourful.
  7. Turn off the heat.
  8. Now beat the yogurt well. Stir in the yogurt into the spinach- Panner mixture. Adjust salt.
  9. Serve warm or at room temperature with Pulkas or a choice of bread.

10 comments:

Ann said...

WOW! looks so new to me and tempting

Archy said...

i make saag panner but this with curd might be wonderful !! Nice recipe an pic !!

Sanghi said...

Looks perfect! Do send some entries for my FIL-Milk event!

Pari Vasisht said...

Paneer is an all time favourite at home. Love the way you have made it. Even I have posted a Yogurt based lotus stem. Will give your dish a try .

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Ann,

@Archy, Thanks, and yes curd in this kind of a dish is my twist I guess.. I go to any length to eat more and more curd, it is one of my favorite ingredients actually :)

@Sanghi! Milk is such a difficult ingredient. Kind of pondering over a savory dish at all using milk :) Wish me luck...

@Pari,
I did have look at the Yakhni recipe you have posted. Summers Yogurt makes such a soothing and light ingredient even as it adds richness to the dish. Looks like we both love the idea :)

Uma said...

looks so yummy! First time here. You have a lovely blog :)

Hb said...

I have tried dahi and paneer but never spinach. Interesting combination!

Sudhir R said...

Intresting experiment with the right kind of ingrdients. Shows you can now whip up new things in style

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Uma,
Thanks and hope to see you soon..
@thanks myexperi....and Sudhir.. I guess these recipes get created out of necessity to clean up the refrigerator as much as my creative juices allow me to :)

Recipeswap said...

looks super delicious!