Dumrot / Kashi Halwa/ Ash Gourd Halwa

Dumrot or Kashi Halwa is this decadent dessert that is also a standard feature in Kannada wedding feasts. It is mostly served with Idli and Pongal for breakfast and I love such a lavish breakfast spread. But otherwise it is a mostly made as offerings for gods during festivals and special occasions. In my place, this is one of the offerings made during the 9 days Navaratri/Dasara festival when we are supposed to make offerings twice a day all 9 days. But this time around I made it Janmastami. Because I was quite bored with just the used raveunde, Hesarunde, Chakkli, Karjikai etc.. This dish is one of the easiest to make and I love it for this. It is also a a great fit for Janmastami for the recipe calls for Cream and Milk and Ghee all of which were Lord Krishna's favorite foods..

Dumrot

Ash Gourd 2 lbs or about 2 cups grated and drained and squeezed thoroughly
Sugar 1 1/2 cups more if you like it sweeter. (I use 2 cups if I am serving my FIL)
Whole Milk 1 cup
Cream 1/2 cup
Ghee a little over 1/4 Cup
Saffron a few strands soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
Raisins 1/4 cup fried in ghee.


Method:
  1. Heat the ghee in a think bottomed pan. I generally use my small cooker. It is somehow perfect for this kind of recipes.
  2. Throw in the grated and squeezed Ash Gourd. Toss well and cook till the vegetable is almost transparent.
  3. Now throw in the remaining ingredients. Cook till the mixture thickens to a jam like consistency. Finis with the raisins. Serve warm
P.S: A note on the cream.
I prefer to use home made cream, (cream that has been accumulated for a couple of days or so.) the cream that is sold in supermarkets tends be have a higher percentage of fat and a lower percentage of milk solids that the texture of the finished dish gets altered to a great extent and definitely not to my liking. Also if Khoa is available, grated khoa can be used instead of cream. That gives the dish a better finish.

Sending it out to FIL Milk . Dedicating this dish to my Honey.. He loves the dish. It had once happened during Dasara festival that I had as usual prepared this dish and had placed it in front of the deities as offering. Half an hour past the pooja, I see the offering is all gone.. My Honey then started blaming stray cats. We all knew which was that cat. So it is for him

19 comments:

Unknown said...

wow.. nice entry.. my fav halwa.. looks really mouthwatering & yummy..

Vani said...

Absolutely gorgeous looking dumrot!

Sanghi said...

Delicious halwa!! Do send this to my FIL-milk event@

Lakshmi said...

riii...aase toristira??.. damrot looks delicious Smitha.

Hb said...

Good looking halwa. I have never tried adding cream to my halwa. Nice change I see.

Unknown said...

wow yummy........i wish i can taste halwa now!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

akka looks yummy kane.....

Priya Suresh said...

Wow droolworthy dish!

Archy said...

wow, wonderful halwa.. love it, looks so gud !!

Unknown said...

Kashi Halwa is one of my fav sweet looks so tempting yum yum.

Savi-Ruchi said...

I love love kashi halwa.., you are tempting me to prepare & have soon :)

Recipeswap said...

I love dumrot and looking at this I miss blore.Looks very nice perfect for janmashtami.

Deepthi Shankar said...

lovely dumrot .. very very tempting

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow....that's a glossy and yum halwa...

Panchpakwan said...

Durmot tumba channagi kanisuthide.
Nice work.

Jyoti said...

Looks delicious and tempting!

Arathi Sridhar said...

wow! looks divine and so tempting! have to try it sometime..thanks for sharing.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Mouthwatering!!!Oh i miss India. My mom make this. Thanks for the recipe, will try.

mgm said...

hi,

iam from Karnataka, one of my primary interest is cooking.
recently i have started to blog Karnataka dishes. can u visit my blog and if u want to give suggestion , give me.
my blog name is RUCHI BY MGM
url is http://mgmruchi.blogspot.com