Tondekai Palya Ver.2/ Sauteed Ivy Gourd

Tondekai is one of my favourite vegetables. In fact it is my long time desire to have the creeper in my yard so that I can revive our childhood practice of plucking them off the vine just before tucking them into our tiny mouths. It is not too versatile that it is limited to Huli, Palya and Gojjus. But there can be a variety of Palyas. I have already posted one version here . This version is a much simpler version which goes well with Dal/ Huli or curries. I love it because of its crunch and because it is very easy particularly suitable for a busy week night meal.

Tondekai Palya

We will need,

Tondekai/ Tendli 1 Lb
Green Chillies 4-5 slit
Coconut 2 tbsp grated
Oil 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Jeera ¼ tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves 8-10
Fresh Coriander a handful chopped
Turmeric a pinch
Hing a dash
Salt

Method:
  • Wash and pat dry the Tondekai. Remove the tops and tails and slit length wise into fours. Set it aside.
  • Heat oil in a Kadai. Throw in the Mustard seeds and jeera.
  • Once they stop spluttering add the Urad and Channa dals. Stir for a minute till they are golden in colour.
  • Toss in the green chillies and curry leaves. Once they stop spluttering add coconut stir the mixture.
  • Now throw in the cut vegetable and toss them well. Cover and cook till tender but still has a crunch to it.
  • Finish with coriander and salt.
  • Serve hot with rice and dal/ Huli of your choice

11 comments:

Pari Vasisht said...

Not too many people like this vegetable, but like you, even I like it a lot. I love eating this with saaru and rice. Yours is looking great.

Lakshmi said...

Tondekayi is our favorite vegetable too. Palya looks delicious Smitha.

Savi-Ruchi said...

same pinch, thondekayi is my fav too. Palya, saaru & anna would be the most preferred food among South Indians, right?

Kitchen Chronicles said...

its my fav too. It looks great.

Please participate in
Think Spice - Think Red Chillies
http://delightsofcooking.blogspot.com/2009/09/chillies-some-like-it-hot.html

Hb said...

This is my fave veggie when I was a kid, still like it. Never tried this combo though!

Suparna said...

hi,
I like tondeki too we call it tendli in konkani anything made with this veggie is very dear to me, love the simple palya your way :)
Thanks
TC

Hari Chandana P said...

Yummy recipe.. looks very tempting.. :)

Recipeswap said...

My family likes tondekai and I wait for every Thursday to get it fresh from the Indian stores.Nice palya......my moms makes it like this.

Panchpakwan said...

Tondikai is my fav too and its very easy to make...:)
Palya looks delish.

Ann said...

My fav Veggie too :) Yumm YUmm YUmmy

Kannada Cuisine said...

Folks, thanks for your encouraging comments.. Never quite thought there could be so many fans of the humble Tomdekai!!!