Balida Rotti

Balida rotti literally means spread-flat bread! There is just so much to it, but the simplicity is what makes it so difficult.. I am yet to master the art of spreading the dough on a hot griddle. These are fat free and super healthy and is worth every effort it takes...Recipe courtesy : Aunty Susheela


We will need

Ragi flour  1 cup
Salt
Onions   1 medium minced
Water

Method:
  • Mix ragi flour, salt to taste, onions with enough water to make a very soft chapati dough. The dough should be very soft, very pliable, say the consistency of peanut butter. It should not fall from the back of the spoon though.
  • Heat a light weight griddle. When it is hot, take a lemon sized ball of dough and place it on the tawa . 
  • Using your fingers, spread the dough all over the tawa, giving it a shape of roti.
  • Cover and cook for a few minutes.
  • Remove from the tawa and serve hot with some peanut chutney and ghee/butter.

8 comments:

FH said...

Interesting! I probably burn my hands on Tava if I tried this but it sounds traditional and looks delicious. I like ragi dosa.

Rachana said...

Interesting! I agree with Asha, I would probably burn my hands too...

Thanks for sharing such a delicious and traditional recipe :-)

Lakshmi said...

Very traditional recipe. Ragi rotti is indeed a treat with huchhellu chutney :)

Sarah Naveen said...

new to me..looks so delicious...

AJ said...

Just love ragi - I make this with zucchini!!

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Folks..i did burn my hands if i tried it as well...but practice makes one perfect. Guess i did be alright with time :)

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

My mother is an expert of this rotti and I prepare this rotti often...very healthy and nutricious,its a regular dish in my house and my mothers..

Sudhir R said...

We make a sweet called Malida, When I saw the title I thought this must be it. Intersting recipe