Peanut Chutney

Though it is not quite a native species groundnuts aka peanuts have been something my ancestors relished!! It has a cultivation history of least 150 years in the old Mysore region. Primarily an oil seed, it was also converted into favorite condiment like chutney.

In my kitchen, it is the most accepted and adored Chutney. We like its versatility, taste and the ease with which it ends on the dining table. We eat it with Idli, dosa, Akki rotti, Ragi rotti and plain rice...Could it be better? try it with bread!

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. If it my Father-in-law's heart, it is through Peanut Chutney..I discovered it very early on. When ever MIL was out of town and I had an opportunity to cook I would ask FIL about his lunch preference. He did say 'Kadalebeeja Chutney madbudamma' / Please repare some peanut chutney'... It happened a few times to make me feel that he was just being considerate and did not want me to dish out elaborate meals. Considerate he was, but MIL later told me it was his preference as well! So folks, try this one and let me know..

We will need,

Peanuts/ Groundnuts      1/2 Cup
Red Chillies                   4-5 ( Byadigi ) Adjust according to taste
Garlic                            1 small clove
Tamarind                       1/2"strip
Curry leaves                   a handful
Coriander fresh               a handful
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Heat a skillet. Toast the peanuts till fragrant about 5-8 minutes. Remove and set it aside to cool.
  • In the same skillet, toast the red chillies for about 3-4 minutes till fragrant, remove and cool.
  • Turn off the skillet and throw in the curry leaves. Toast it on the hot skillet. Remove and cool.
  • Combine all the toasted ingredients and the rest of the ingredients in a blender, add a little water and pulse till almost smooth. 
  • Remove and serve it with Idlis, rice...

5 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Slurrp...this is one of my fav chutnies..I love to eat this chutney more than idli or dose.

Unknown said...

NIce chutney... perfect with idly & dosas..

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

That's a new recipe to me..i never tried peanut chutney before..thanks for sharing

Champa said...

Can we do a FIL exchange? My FIL is so demanding when it comes to food that I get tired of cooking sometimes when he is visiting us. I had eaten gatti chutney with peanuts. Yours looks creamy. Should try it sometimes.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@LG, Srikars...yup we love it with Idli n Dosas!!

@Cooking blog index... hope you try it and enjoy it..

@Bangalorebaker,
Hehe..Guess I am plain lucky w.r.t FIL