Capscium Masala

Sunny boy started school. He is having a tough time. He cries all the while, right when I hand him over at the school till the time I pick him up.It is so hard. I feel like crying my heart out and I did. I hate myself for putting that my precious little boy into such hardship. Many times I did consider pulling him out of school even if it has just been four short days with an hour session each. But somewhere down inside there is an urge to do the right thing, may be a little painful but give him some time to adjust to the strange world called school. Every night before I slip into sleep, I tell myself, O.K, just tomorrow, just one more day let me send him to school and what if he comes home happy and full of stories to tell me about his school, his teacher,his new friends.What if he likes it today....

Otherwise, I am still busy with family visiting from India and the other day we picked some peppers from a farm. They were lovely, fresh and colorful. I dished out some Capsicum Masala  along with Rawa Rotti. Everybody loved it.

We will need,

Peppers/ capsicum  1lb diced
Peanut oil 1/4 cup
Jeera 1/2 tsp

Onions 2 medium
Garlic 5 cloves
Garlic 1"
Chiili powder 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Dhania powder 2 tsp
Jeera powder 2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4  tsp
Tomatoes 2 medium
Almonds 6-8
Garam Masala 1/4 tsp
Butter 2 tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Combine onions, garlic and ginger in a blender along with a little water and pulse till smooth.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottom wok. Toss in the Jeera when the oil is hot. Once the Jeera stops sizzling, add the onion paste carefully, not to splatter the mixture all over.
  • Stir the mixture and cook it till the raw smell disappear, about 15 minutes. 
  • Meantime, blend the almonds and tomatoes into a smooth paste  and set it aside.
  • Once the onion mixture is cooked, throw in the turmeric, chilli powder, Dhania powder and the Jeera powder. Stir well add a few tbsps of water if the mixture is too dry. Cook till the oil floats on top and the mixture is fragrant.
  • Pour in the tomato mixture and stir well. Simmer and cook till the mixture is homogenous about 10-15  minutes.
  • Throw in the diced capsicum and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes till the capsicum is slightly tender but very well crisp. Throw in the butter at the end if using. (I love the butter)
  • Serve hot with a bread of choice.

13 comments:

Vani said...

Hang in there, S! It will get better soon. Hugs to you both. The masala looks yum.

Uj said...

Capsicum masala and hot phulka's is a match made in heaven.. Rava rotti I have not heard of it.. Do you have the recipe I would love to try.. Good luck with your kiddo's school. I know its hard but then as time passes the child will surely get adjusted. Worked as a montessori teacher for some time.. but then the feeling that mother undergoes is quite difficult to understand. Good luck and stay strong :)

Unknown said...

Smitha, you are doing the right thing. It will get better and soon he will go in with a smile. Just wait. Capsicum masala looks delicious

Priya Suresh said...

An excellent side dish for rotis. Good luck and dont worry everything will be alrite soon.

Chitra said...

My neighbor makes similarly. love its color..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Vani, Uj,Nagashree Thanks much for your support.

Thanks Priya..and Chitra

radha said...

This looks terrific! Love the colours. Have to try it soon. I have a green version that I will post soon.

Lakshmi said...

4 more months and I might be repeating the same lines as you have written..Capsicum masala sakkath agi kantha ide!

Sudhir R said...

Is he up now. Some take long, like me and some get adjusted quite soon. But the the travails of a parent has to be endured.

Sudhir R said...

Is he up now. Some take long, like me and some get adjusted quite soon. But the the travails of a parent has to be endured.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Radha..bring on the green ones..cannot get enough of these goodies till the season lasts.

@LG..oh! yes Aditya will be there soon!

@Sudhir..oh! yes..I remember Siddu's day at school when we had visited once. Poor thing he did not want to go at all. Eventually we all went to drop him and he was there crying his heart out...

Sudhir R said...

Makes me feel so guilty, possibly one of the days I failed as a parent. I always ask myself why I could have allowed him to miss school one day. Parenting too is learnt on job!

CJ - Food Stories said...

Wow ... this recipe looks great but the pictures is gorgeous ... Great Job!