Egg masala

There are many nights when I get sick of the dozen or so eggs lying in the refrigerator for several weeks. We do not consume eggs all that often but once I manage to finish a carton, my hands will itch till I put another one in my shopping cart when at Costco! So the cycle repeats. Finish one and get another one immediately to think about. It is on one of those days that I badly wanted to get done with half a dozen eggs that I prepared this dish and we all enjoyed this dish with some hot Rotis.

We will need,

Eggs 6 no
Peanut oil 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves 8-1074
Cardamon 2
Onion 1 medium minced
Garlic 3 cloves grated
Ginger 1/2" grated
Green chillies 5-6 minced
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Dhania powder 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder 1/2 tsp
Tomato 1 medium
Garama Masala a generous pinch
Salt to taste
Fresh Coriander a handful chopped
Mint a handful torn
Lemon juice to taste

Method:
  • Heat oil in a Wok. Throw in the fennel and the cardamon. Once they sizzle, throw in the curry leaves, immediately followed by the minced onions.
  • Saute the onions till the onions are very well caramelized and almost brown in colour. 
  • Once the onions are done, throw in the garlic, ginger and chillies. Saute for a few minutes. Keep moving the mixture lest they burn.
  • Once the mixture is fragrant, throw in the turmeric, Dhania powder and the Jeera powder. Saute for a few seconds. Throw in the chopped tomatoes. Cook till the oil separates.
  • Meantime crack open the eggs into a mixing bowl breaking the yolks.
  • Push the onion-spice mixture to the sides and pour the eggs into the wok. Cook on low till the eggs start to cook. Stir and scrap the bottom to make sure the eggs or the masala does not burn. 
  • Once the egg start to solidify, fold in the Masala. Keep stirring the mixture till all the moisture evaporates and the eggs are cooked through.
  • Adjust salt. Throw in the Garam Masala. Finish with the torn mint and coriander. Serve immediately with rotis.

15 comments:

Vani said...

Bhurji looks yum, S! I buy them by the dozen at regular grocery and sometimes I still ahve to throw them out coz I did not manage to use them before exp date. Costco size will not work for me :) BTW, are you/KC on FB?

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent side dish for rotis, can have even with some bread slices..Delicious.

Reva said...

Yummy bhurji... very inviting..
Reva

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Vani,
2 dozens of organic eggs are indeed too much, i am thinking for doing away it entirely.
yep! I am kannadacuisine on FB..

@Priya..gives me yet another idea, may be use it as a filling for dinner sanwiches

@Thanks Reva

Unknown said...

Same here, we don't consume eggs a lot and I stopped buying them unless I have plans for baking stuff. This is one of things I stay away from at Costco :-)

radha said...

This looks absolutely yummy. It has every masala under the sun and the touch of lime is the finishing touch. Love the look of it.

Andy said...

Excellent side dish for rotis, can have even with some bread slices..Delicious.

Four said...

Same here, we don't consume eggs a lot and I stopped buying them unless I have plans for baking stuff. This is one of things I stay away from at Costco :-)

Unknown said...

Am an amateur in cooking. Gave a try to cook Egg Masala as I had a dozen n half eggs left over in the fridge since 3 weeks. It's really a very delicious recipe. I enjoyed it a lot with Methi Paratha and Beer.
Thank you Kannda Cuisine! for this delicious recipe.

-Ravy

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Ravi,

Thanks a lot for getting back.Such comments keep me going. Never figured out the role of Beer as a part of the meal! Should seriously give it a thought

farah saleem said...

hi smitha...u forgot to mention how much tomatoes to use!

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Farah! definitely an oversight :)

Unknown said...

@ Farah:
It's listed in the 'We will need' Section right below the 'Egg Masala' image.

Unknown said...

@Farah: Quantity of Tomatoes is mentioned right below the 'Egg Masala' image under the 'We will need' section.

turmericnspice said...

Nice ! I love egg