Ragi Mudde

What could be the one dish that is closest to the Kannadiga identity? I will take not more than a second to say Ragi Mudde... All of us who hail from southern bayaluseeme.. the interior plains of Karnataka i.e. Mysore, Mandya, Bangalore, Kolar, Tumkur, Hassan,Chamrajnagar districts will know what I mean. We will have our stories, love-hate relationships with ragi mudde. For me I always loved mudde because you do not need to chew mudde, you just have to pinch small portions, roll it in curry and gulp it. That is it, eating is done. As a kid, i loved to have mudde for dinner, good to gulp down something when eyes are heavy with sleep, mind hurry to go to the world of dreams.....but for my sister it was always a pain. We used to call her 'Annapoorneshwari' because she always wanted 'anna' -rice, no chapati or mudde for her. She still is one. If I ever want to make her cry, I just will have to feed her chapati and tomato palya two straight days..Lol!!
Back to mudde. Of late it had become fashionable to be eating Mudde because of health reasons. In my family, Papa always has Mudde once a day. Me and honey are rather too lazy to be making Mudde everyday. It is something we reserve for special occasions, an occasional indulgence indeed. Not that it takes too much of time or effort, just that for the two of us it is rather a hassle.
Mudde also reminds of a soul long resting in peace now. Bhootaiah.... He was a legend in my home town. His name is rather weird. Bhoota means ghost in Kannada... He was a farm hand on grandpa's fields. Back then it was customary for landowners to feed their farm hands. Generally they would be fed Mudde and some sort of curry, each mudde would be as big as my head. By any measure, one person could not have had more than one, may be one and a half. Bhootaiah's was the only exception. His normal standard was two muddes, may be another half, if the hostess is kind enough!! He was again an exception on the fields as well, for his strength and hard work. He was always the first one to report early in the morning and the last to lay down his tool at the end of the day. May his soul rest in peace. Those days indeed bring me back so many memories which are not so pleasant... the grinding poverty, the way these farm hands slogged long hours for a pittance, because they did not have any better alternative. Then during droughts, they would not even get to eat well because there is no work on the farms. These agriculture labour lived right on the edge of survival not too far from starvation and death. One improvement that i see in my home town in recent years is the improvement in the living condition of these folks. They are paid better these days. They are paid in cash, not kind. They have ration cards -the targeted public distribution system entitlement document, that assures them of cheap food grains. There are no more beggar kids standing at the doors beseeching for food... they cries still echo in my ears 'Amma, tayi ....' I assume they are doing better these days. They must be having better opportunities. Being rootless labours, they migrate to lines of work that pays better rather quickly. It is a relief, that way I do not have to feel guilty every time I drive down to my home town, not feel guitly about my own better condition (not that I am rich but that today i have a laptop and an internet connection makes me privilaged according to statistics) not feel guilty that I am indulging in wasteful expenses even when my own people are suffering. Now I can be bit less guilty being in my own world where it is OK to be 'in my yard, with my dog, kids and family' (not that i have a yard or a dog or kids! just liked the expression from Kiron Desai)I only hope and pray that however inefficient this trickle down is, will continue and give hope to the hopeless... As the Sanskrit sloka say
'Asatoma Satgamaya,
Tamasoma jyothirgamaya,
Mirtyorm amritangamaya,
Om Shanti'

Lead me to the truth from falsehood,
from darkness to light,
from death to life
peace , peace to all....

Humble food, yet so powerful.


Now back to Ragi mudde. It is not difficult to make one, but got to give it a try a couple of times before getting it right. This time around I got the measurements right. So this recipe is as perfect as i can make it!!

you will need,

Ragi flour 1.5 cups +1 tbsp
Water 2.25 cups +1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee 1 tsp to 1 tbsp (I use 1 tbsp, like it fragrant)

Method
  • Take 2.25 cups of water in a thick bottomed pot, turn on the heat.
  • In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup cold water with 1 tbsp ragi flour. Mix well to make a thin paste. Pour it into the water into the pot. Mix well.
  • Throw in the salt and ghee. Stir and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
  • Now slowly add the remaining ragi flour 1/2 cup at a time and stir vigorously, till all the flour is used up.
  • Mix well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
  • Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
  • To roll them into balls, take a cup of cold water and keep it at hand.
  • Take a small plate and moisten it with a few drops of water.
  • Ladle a fourth of the cooked Mudde onto the plate.
  • Using your fingers pat the dough into a ball, frequently dipping your fingers into the bowl of cold water so as to not scald your fingers.
  • The mixture will be very hot and make sure not to scald yoruself.
  • Serve it with a hot curry and a dollop of ghee.
Honey had Mudde with chicken curry, me got to eat some left over Spinach mossoppu with Mudde.. we both loved it!!

27 comments:

Lakshmi said...

you are true when u say "we all have love hate relationship with this dish" my hubby dislikes it and I love it! Good One Smitha :)

Recipeswap said...

We like to eat Raagi mudde with chicken curry and avarekal saaru...
Good write up.

Unknown said...

here is also the same as lakshmi said my hubby likes mudde very much and me not that much ok i will eat looks so perfect Smitha

Poonam said...

Being in karnataka i haven't eaten it. will surely try this!!!

lubnakarim06 said...

Nice post. I heard about this before but never tried it. I think i have try this to taste this.

ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...

I think the best combination for ragi mudde is koli saaru or soppina saaru.

FH said...

YUMMY! Your mudde looks like how I make it, softer and reddish! :)

Love it with soppina saaru, looks delirious chicken curry.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ LG, Rekha...looks like your have a division of opinions on Ragi mudde just like we have at our place!! got to live with it i guess..

@ n33ma, me too would love to have it with Averekal saaru/huli/hitikida bele saaru.... man my mouth is watering...
@ Poonam, i am sure many folks who live in Karnataka never quite get a chance to eat mudde as it is not 'chinese' or 'north Indian' or 'Darshini' food! But give it a shot it is good for you...
@ Putta,long time no see Putta! Yup soppina saaru is what i had my mudde with..
@Ashakka, yep! I like it rather soft, cant gulp it if it is on the harder side!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love Ragi Mudde .. I eat it atleast 3 times a week ... just had it yeaterday .. yum yum with soppina huli

Deepa Hari said...

Nice write up Smitha...Love the raagi mudde...my mom would make it...i never tried making at home...will try it.

Ashwini said...

In our house, I don't eat mudde, my husband loves it..My dad too has to have mudde daily..It is compulsary..mudde with kolisaru is famous...looks very soft and nice..

Archy said...

I used to make it for my dad daily in small quantity :) !! Love with soppina saaru yummy.. looks so nice an perfect smitha

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Deesha! thats a commendable frequency indeed.. so good for health too... looks like I should be making mudde more frequently

@Deepa, thanks a lot..It is always to pleasure to know your posts are being read and appreciated .. thanks again..

@Ashwini,
My Honey likes it with kolisaaru, me just soppina saaru!!!

@Archy! Thanks a lot.. looks like your dad is like mine.. he will have mudde everyday but it will be the size of a big lemon!!

Savi-Ruchi said...

At out home also, we have love hate relationship with this mudde. My father loves eating it, I can eat it once a while & my hubby can never eat this ;) Good one & it is more than 8 months, I ate it..
Will prepare at the earliest ...

UjjU said...

thanks Smitha. Ragi mudde amele hitkkavare huli! Yummmmy! I miss all that here. I hope you guys enjoyed it.

Sia said...

first time when i had mudde, it stuck to my teeth and mouth as i tried to chew it instead of swallowing :) it takes time to fall in love it with ragi mudde but give me bassaru anytime and i can drink it like water :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Sushma! I should say that is a problem most common amongst all Kannadiga households.. the sample size is right here on the comment list! Hope you will enjoy it sooner!

@ Ujju! I wish you were close by, i would have sent you some Mudde too....

@ Sia,
Bassaru, my favorite too.. i also end up drinking a lot of bassaru after having had my fill with rice..I should say it is a perpetual favorite...

Pavithra Kodical said...

As i was bought up in Mysore, i always liked eating mudde..My mom was not aware of this as she was bought up in Udupi, my neighbour aunt used to get me..I did not know how to eat this for sometime :)

Vani said...

My friend's mom used to make raagi mudde and I really enjoyed it! Of course it took me some time to figure out the correct way of consuming it! :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Pavithra and Vani!
I know..we have been on the other side!!
My mom used to send Mudde and soppusaaru/Bassaru to our neighbours from North Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh! We in turn used to get Junka, Jolada Rotti ,Ennegai, Gongura, Vankai Kuura etc from our neighbours...Love sharing food with our neighbours

Sandesh Das said...

i really appreciate this article abt raggi mudhe... but its very sad to see only one cuisine in the kannada food block... i think there are lot more stuff in karnataka abt food. i think there are lots of good north karnataka cuisines and also coastal karnataka...

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Hello Sandesh,

I assume this is your first visit to my Blog, otherwise you would not have complained about there being only one Kannada food. Well most of my recipes are from Bayaluseeme Karnataka, with a sprinkling of Uttara Karnataka ones as well. Just that I do not have a label naming them as such and Mudde was something too hard to classify otherwise

Jayashree said...

This is my first time on your blog. I like the way you write. I am making different recipes from Karnataka this week and ragi mudde is the first one I have made.

CK said...

Tell me one simple sambar/chutney that would last for atleast a week. to use with ragi mudde.It would be very helpful for bachelors and i am one among them :)

Restaurant in Laxmi Nagar said...

That is delicious and so healthy!!! thanks for sharing this authentic and tasty dish!!
chowringhee

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger
if you are not already ;) Cheers!

sreya said...

Ragi Mudde Is really delicious we like to eat it With Chicken Curry. The Taste was really Awesome. Thanks for sharing Article.