Badami Haalu/ Almond Milk

Remember the jingle 'I am a complan girl' naah! I am not a 'complan girl' I was a 'Nutramul' girl once up on a time, before that I was a badam milk girl... Now in my quest for healthy alternatives, I am going back to Badam milk or Badami halu as we say in Kannada!!
It was a routine for mom every morning. She used to get up at god-knows-what-hour, bath-pooja, fetch milk from our neighbours who tended cattle and sold milk every morning, then pet 'Munna' our neighbour's dog who was the goon of his days.. he had this reputation of having bitten at least one person per household in our entire neighbourhood, but was as sweet as a lamb with his 'dad' -'mom' and my 'mom'...somehow mom is a natural dog-friendly person.. not me. Then she used to break open the almond shells and prepare Badam milk. The timing was required to be perfect, six-sigma specification. By the time me and my kid sister woke up, the milk was required to be luke warm, not hot not cold. If the milk is late, my sister would wake and start her chant 'amma aavu' 'aavu' because she could not pronounce 'haalu' or milk!! she would keep saying the phrase till she is given her milk. That is fun to remember. Poor thing mom, I think we always kept her on tender hook.


You will need

Milk 250 ml
Almonds 10 numbers chopped
Saffron 6-7 strands
Dates dry 4 chopped
Sugar/ honey/ Kalsakkare- the crystalline sugar that we get in India, it is not as sweet as normal sugar.

Method:
  • In a thick bottomed pot, combine all ingredients and simmer.
  • Keep stirring till the sugar/kalsakkare is completely dissolved.
  • Bring it to a gentle boil and turn off the heat.
  • Serve it hot/room temperature or refrigerated.


13 comments:

Lakshmi said...

ohoo...chalige olle bisi bisi badami haalu sakkathagi iddirbeku alwa. This time we relished Bombay Tiffanis cold badami halu ..slurrp want to drink now :D Delicious Entry dear

Pavithra Kodical said...

Ohh badami haalu is tempting me..I used have this in Bangalore..

Recipeswap said...

Lovely Badami Hallu.....love it in weddings with the chirotti and laddu

Ashwini said...

wow love badam milk..Love the cold one better than the hot..looks tempting..

Malar Gandhi said...

Oh so sweet, the way you recalled your past. Thats quite a story. Yeah, we all did trouble our Mommy's right!

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious Badam milk; feel like having rite now:)

Archy said...

Badami halu, hmm.. ega beku :)!!
love both cold and hot.. Looks very tempting smitha.. shall try this soon..

Deepa Hari said...

Badami Haalu looks great....i love it.

Gayathri said...

umm yum badami haalu....chalige bisi bisi, besigeyelli thanane...ahhaa
I like asha sweets badam milk....umm bayalli neeru........ looks lovely

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ LG,
Thanks a lot..Lakshmi,
Bombay tiffanis! ah! I miss it all so much!!
@ Pavithra,
Yes Pavithra.. me too I used to have it so often in Bangalore... now miss it here
@ N33ma,
right!! never quite remembered chiroti... Oh yes that is a winning combo any day
@ Ashwini,
Me too like it cold in summers, but in winters prefer it warm, almost at room temperature. Cannot drink it if it is scalding hot!!

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Malar,
Thanks a lot! how true it that! I guess moms like all the pestering too.. I am not sure about it cos I am not one myself!

@ Deepa, Archy, Priya...

Hope you gals give it a shot some time and like it as much as i do!!

@ Gayathri..
Asha sweets! aha! yen napaka madidri.. iga Asha sweets ice cream, bengali sweets, yella nyapaka bartidi!

Anonymous said...

hai thr,

yum! yum blog....could you please tell me where can you get kalsakkare in USA??

regards
seema

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Happy Cooking...

I wish I knew.. Check out at patel stores! I got mine from India. I will check out if it available at Oak Tree @Edison next time we r there..