Beetroot Palya/ Sauteed Beets

'Sunshine on my shoulders make me happy...... 'goes the song by John Denver, one of my favorite singers who tragically died in a plane crash for his other lovely song says 'I am leaving on a jet plane, donno when I will back again....' The tragedy apart, it is the sunshine that makes me happy. In fact our apartment is so well ventilated that there is ample sunshine in the mornings in our living room, late morning in our bed room and noon, past noon it is our Kitchen. Today, a Saturday everything was late so, as is our lunch. There was copious sunshine in the Kitchen as I was cooking and it gave me energy to go one step further and make a side dish along with our normal rice-dal-huli meal. Had some really sad looking Beetroots in my crisper and had to grant them the deliverance they deserve :) What better way than Palya? Palya by the way is a generic term in Kannada Culinary-Dictionary. It refers to any vegetable-legume which is mildly spiced and cooked till crisp-tender. Commonly the spices associated with this dish are mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal, jeera, chillies, curry leaves along with an optional coconut, onion and fresh coriander.
Sweeter vegetables like Carrots and Beets do not require the addition of coconut, while blander vegetables like string beans, Ivy gourd goes well with loads of coconut. Strangely, as I write this I figure out there is no Kannada word for Beetroots!



You will need,

Beets 2 big
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
Jeera 1 tsp
Dry chillies 2
Green Chillies 2
Curry leaves 4-5
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt to taste
Coriander fresh a few sprigs.

Method
  • Chop the beets into fine chunks. Set it aside.
  • In a thick bottomed pot, heat the oil. Throw in the mustard, jeera, hing, urad dal, channa dal one by one. Keep stirring till the dals are golden brown in colour.
  • Throw in the slit green chillies and broken red dry chillies. Toss one quick time.
  • Add the beet chunks to the pot, toss well. Add some salt, cover.
  • Check after a few minutes. If there is enough water, cover and cook. If the mixture looks rather dry add a few tablespoons of water. Cover and cook till crisp tender about 15-20 minutes.
  • Finish with lemon juice and coriander. Serve hot with a dal and rice of your choice

17 comments:

Savi-Ruchi said...

wow!!, simple beet palya... Nice to hear that winter is slowly moving out :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love these soo much with chapatis, been ages since i ate them

Vani said...

Beetroot palya is always delicious, alwa? Looks good, Smitha. I use some saarina pudi when making beetroot palya.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Yes Sushma, it has been better since the past couple of weeks, though some days in between were really cold... But more than happy to bid adieu to winters!

@ Deesha,
Yup, mom makes it with Chapatis,...

@ Vani, Oh Yes, my cousin also adds just a touch of Sarina pudi/ Huli pudi to the palya..

UjjU said...

Lil one is fine. Naavu manenalli palya maadthivi. :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Good to hear that Ujju! My love to both of you...

Unknown said...

Whenever I get beets from store, always make palya with it. Looks good Smitha.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Madhu

Lakshmi said...

I love this sweet vegetable with generous amount of coconut thuri on it :D slurpp..chennagide palya. happy shivaratri to you both :)

Ashwini said...

Ha my fav veggie..Simple is always better..With hot rice , dhal and beet palya is so comforting..Happy Shivarathri to you both..

Archy said...

Love this beetroot palya, simple and tasty !!Nice color !! my mom adds a bit of grated coconut, yum !!

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Thanks Lakshmi,Ashwini!! Nimagu aste Shivartri Shubhashayagala

@Archy,
Yep my mom adds coconut as well. Not adding coconut is just me!

Paru ... said...

Palya tumba chennagide Smitha..Simple and nutritious..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks a lot Paru!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

That's a great recipe for beets. I love the flavor of curry leaves.

Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

Hrishi Rao said...

Turned out real good. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic and easy recipe. Thank you for your time and patience.